Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How to learn French?  (Read 2600 times)

theholygideons

How to learn French?
on: December 13, 2013, 01:11:41 PM
I have had a great enthusiasm in learning French recently. What are some books and other resources for learning French from English? What's harder, English, French or Latin? How long would it take for someone to fluently speak French if they studied 30 mins a day consistently. I believe knowledge of Latin stems and English May help memorizing certain vocab, although I'm worried about French grammar. :s

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to learn French?
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:04:30 PM

This should help.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:45:49 PM

This should help.
!!! Nostalgia and all that! How different Monsieur Michel Palin looks today to the way that he did in this!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:56:17 PM
Just get a French 101 book.  Make sure you have audio so you know how it's pronounced.

Learn I, you informal, you formal, he/she/it, we, you as a group, they. 

Learn the verbs  to be  and to have.

Then go through the French 101 book chapters.  You can be fluent in sentences like, "The dog is black," right away. Actually being to say what you want?  A year, a few years.

Work through the book writing and speaking.  Try to find something to listen to translate (like audio materials that come with the French 101 book).

30 min/day isn't that much.  Go for more... 1 hour.  4 hours.   

After you go through it, then you realize it's simpler than it appeared.  All the French 101, 102 type of material is like music theory 101, 102...  It can be formalized (great for learning) but even after 4+ classes like that, the material is still pretty basic.

I heard English is hardest because it doesn't follow rules so much and has a lot of borrowed words.  French is a pain to pronounce.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:30:09 AM
Subscribe to jejouedupiano.com for online piano lessons by French concert pianists.  Kill two birds with one stone!www.jejouedupiano.com
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:18:12 AM
Er, obviously spend some time in a Francophone environment? France, Quebec, Polynesia(?), Vietnam(?), South Kensington

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 02:15:02 AM
I have been using duolingo to learn French for the last couple of months. It is good fun, but I am an awfully long way from holding a fluent conversation with a Frenchman. Also, although the interactive way is more enjoyable, I still found it hard to infer general rules from many examples, and needed to find a French grammar site to fill that gap. I do not have a good brain for languages, and despite going through the whole package of lessons three times I still find certain things have not sunk in. In particular, I find past tense forms, prepositions and word order difficult. I think I would need to do much more than the hour or so a day I have done so far.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:13:29 AM
despite going through the whole package of lessons three times I still find certain things have not sunk in.

Three times is certainly not enough; "seventy times seven" (c) is more like it. The best way to learn a language IMHO is to read and listen simultaneously without asking too many questions, especially since the grammar for Roman languages in general is not much fun to learn.

- First read and understand what's written there with the help of the annotations, explanations, etc.
- Then read and listen.
- Then listen without the text.
- Then listen and repeat after the speakers (if you can, also write a dictation; this is a super way to check whether you really know what they're saying)

Make no attempts at deliberately learning anything by heart, and at the first stage, skip the exercises that test intellectual stuff. As soon as you have done one unit to your satisfaction (but not sooner), go to the next one.

As soon as you can do that, take the next lesson and do the same, etc., still including the "older" stuff. This works like an ever growing snowball. After you have gone through the whole course in such a way, you will have the necessary underlying melodic images of the language in your head (accents mostly fall on the last syllable of a string of words) and you can then try to organize some of the grammar, especially the conjugations of verbs in the basic tenses of present, past, and future (I believe they have something like 27 tenses, but part of it is literary forms which you may never need).

Another approach would be not to do the grammar at all, but simply start another course (there will be partly overlap, so you will finish it faster) and do the same as above. The key to success is the musical (melodic and rhythmical) feel of it, not the grammar rules.

P.S.: People often say that you can simply learn the language by living there, but I think this is a myth, judging from the many immigrants who never seem to learn it; you need the basics outside that environment first, and there has to be interest and an incentive to learn it.
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:44:28 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=53581.msg578812#msg578812 date=1386994409
- First read and understand what's written there with the help of the annotations, explanations, etc.
- Then read and listen.
- Then listen without the text.
- Then listen and repeat after the speakers (if you can, also write a dictation; this is a super way to check whether you really know what they're saying)

All these different aspects are part of duolingo, with each being exercised in each section. It is a very well designed system. I am the problem, not the method. If I were as serious about it as I am about my music things would probably start to sink in.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 04:52:11 AM
All these different aspects are part of duolingo, with each being exercised in each section. It is a very well designed system. I am the problem, not the method. If I were as serious about it as I am about my music things would probably start to sink in.

You shouldn't worry so much, I think. Simply repeat the steps you took when learning your native language (no grammar involved), and don't start constructing your own phrases too soon with a kind of grammar you *think* you understand, because rhythmical and melodic errors are very hard to correct afterwards.

Good things take time to grow. YouTube probably also has some stuff you can listen to from an English perspective. During that hour you have, simply submerge yourself in the language in a positive way but do it systematically. The results will come at a time when you least expect them. :)

P.S.: Do you understand the words in this oldie?
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:11:39 AM
Free.

https://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/

Learn with Tex, the armadillo.

(And Edouard, the snail.  Who smokes but doesn't get dried out apparently.)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 06:10:13 AM
This topic interests me because I have a strong interest in the field of language learning, specifically how we actually learn one, which is very different from the way it is taught.

1. Learning tonal vocabulary - this means being able to listen and hear the sounds that are in the French language. Rhythm, tempo, and articulation are very important.
2. Reproducing tonal vocabulary - you are able to say the sounds of the French language in the correct rhythm, tempo, and articulation.
3. You identify repeated tone patterns - some sounds are much more prevalent than others.  After listening to a lot of French, find the sound patterns that are most common and practice saying those.  This is the most important part of language learning.

----
As you work on the above three, you can also work on:
4. Object identification - you see an object and you say its name.
5. Emotional and linguistic expressions - being able to reproduce sounds in the correct emotional state.

That's all that I can suggest at this time.  Notice that nothing about grammar or vocabulary is mentioned directly.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 07:03:28 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=53581.msg578820#msg578820 date=1386996731
P.S.: Do you understand the words in this oldie?

Yes, that one isn't too hard, but I have problems with Edith Piaf, and rapid conversation in French films is beyond me at present. Reading, of course, is very much easier than either writing or speaking. It might be a good idea if I read some literature in French, something I like, perhaps de Maupassant.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 07:27:51 AM
Yes, that one isn't too hard, but I have problems with Edith Piaf, and rapid conversation in French films is beyond me at present.

Both assume a lot (most likely much too much) if I may say so. You would probably be helped with a list of that kind of existing sources ordered by difficulty. Piaff's texts have all kinds of metaphors and literary qualities that may not be very useful for your purposes. Films, although often recommended, are only effective for already very advanced students, especially since the French tend to speak very fast, at least to my insufficiently trained ears. You want to understand at least 80% of what they're saying and guess the other 20%, otherwise you can't make any progress.

Another option may be to have a look at the official proficiency tests of French as a second language, ordered by difficulty. The audio portion of such tests is often an excellent preparation for real life, and with the answer choices (multiple choice) you have the opportunity to guess from context, which is very important in learning a language. Key: stop and repeat when necessary before answering a question, because your goal is not to pass the test, but to create situations in which you are forced to infer info correctly in situations that are close to real-life situations. Those tests also have a transcription of what is said during the tests + an answer key (sometimes with explanations) so you can check your work and learn where you went wrong.

Reading, of course, is very much easier than either writing or speaking. It might be a good idea if I read some literature in French, something I like, perhaps de Maupassant.

Depends on what your ultimate goal is. I don't think the classical literature of a certain language prepares very well for the conversational variant of that language. Audio books would be an option, but the number of unknown words, turns and phrases may spoil the fun really.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 05:05:02 AM
Repeat after me:

Omelet du Fomage
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 01:18:46 PM
Repeat after me:

Omelet du Fomage

No, I won't! ;D It's "Omelette du Fromage" (with a French "r"). ;)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 02:54:23 PM
For the immersions side...

News websites in French. 
Movies in French (a lot have French audio tracks). 
Youtube in French.
Kids' books in French.
Are there any music treatises in French?

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 03:26:04 PM
For immersion with the help of music, it seems that this is a good place to start with chansons in a series called "Learn French with..." with French, English, and Spanish subtitles for popular French songs:
videos

Organized by popular singers:
Joe Dassin
Mireille Mathieu
Nana Mouscouri
etc.

A very cool song that is very easy to translate is Gerard Lenormand - la ballade des gens heureux

Adamo - Vous Permettez Monsieur

Adamo - Tombe la neige (with French and English subtitles)

More difficult but very beautiful is the French version of "Belle" from the musical Notre Dame de Paris:

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 09:06:09 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=53581.msg578948#msg578948 date=1387113526
No, I won't! ;D It's "Omelette du Fromage" (with a French "r"). ;)

"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:04 PM
Go live in France and get a French friend (relationship?). French is a formal language so in the course of the days you will hear the same things said over and over. And your new friend will guide you as well. Good luck!
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert