Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How many of you have gotten in a fight before?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
How many of you have gotten in a fight before?
on: January 06, 2014, 04:31:50 AM
Tell us about it!!!

And I don't mean arguing, I mean an actual FIGHT.

And has anyone pulled a Sharkeshia before?
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Re: How many of you have gotten in a fight before?
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:46 AM
I have a couple of times, it is to be expected in a country like mine overflowing with tacky characters and ignorant people, where the stench of stupidity is palpable when its too hot or if you look at the news long enough, then again most places are like that but my countrymen's chauvinist nature is quite revolting.

Anyway let me narrate one fight I had not so long ago...

The battle began with a single mighty blow. I swung my fist viciously at my opponent, striking him across the sternum. He recoiled in pain, yet I could tell that he was clearly impressed by the rigidity and girth of my mighty hand (my arpeggios hand). I swung yet again, and victory seemed to be at hand. However, it was not to be.

My opponent quickly gobbled down three 400 lb sharks (the realism is stunning...okay perhaps he didn't but he did make a comeback) and began a counterattack. With two swift blows to my chest and cheek, I was near death. I scrambled, fearing for my life, and reached into my knapsack for one of my pens. As I slipped its moist tip into his leg,
with a blood-red blade covered in a vile green stain.

I swung the tip viciously at him, and I felt it slit his jugular vein. As the blood poured out of the gaping wound in his neck, his vision faded, and I knew he knew he was going to die.

He fell forward on my knees, and as he did so, I quickly dropped into a cross-legged position on the ground. He fell forward, and as I saw the last bit of light fade away, I knew that he was in the most humiliating pose possible. His death had been most dishonorable.

Disclaimer: By death I mean near unconscious . Then the teachers came and we got a note and a week of vacations all payed.

I was rather violent in my youth, quiet and slow to anger so I didn't got into many fights because I usually ignored them, but even I can lose my temper.

Now that I play piano that side (which I attribute to my mother's side of the family) has been rather dormant. The music soothes my soul
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

theholygideons

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:36:08 AM
No, not to the extent which you speak of. However, my brief time learning the oriental martial arts and and sparring in western boxing has enabled me to, not only be more efficient with my movements, but also be more conscious of the consequences of any violent actions. That force is never a solution to our problems, but more of a reflection of our subconscious, and it is often our egos that impede in any attempts to understand each other's viewpoints. However, in the event that my life were to be in imminent danger.....
well then, baby, you better train ever part of your body!  >:(.
because I will RIP you up, just like how i TORE up the keys to CHOPIN'S ETUDE op.10 no.1,
and when i PUNCH, you will recoil from the shock wave, just like HOW I BROUGHT DOWN THE WHOLE ROOF OF THE AUDITORIUM WITH THE CHORDS FROM RACHMANINOFF'S PRELUDE  op.3 no.2 >:( >:( >:(

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:41:45 PM
the rigidity and girth of my mighty hand (my arpeggios hand)
You can play arpeggios only with one hand? I think that you may have a problem!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 06:38:40 PM
Tell us about it!!!

And I don't mean arguing, I mean an actual FIGHT.

Fight has loose definitions.

To me it implies violence mutually consensual.  Both people are angry enough they are willing to duke it out.   I had one of those when I was 9 or 10.  We swung clumsily at each other until we got tired, neither doing any damage due to lack of skill.  Grownups don't do this (unless drunk I guess; I don't get that drunk). 

Others might want to include fighting with an attacker - could be a robber, domestic partner, feral dog, etc.  That's nonconsensual violence.  I'd call it combat rather than a fight.  A fight generally includes some limitations on damage and at least internal rules.   

As an aide in a mental hospital I've probably subdued or helped subdue >100 patients.  Some of them were small or weak, some large and powerful.  I don't call that a fight, more like force applied as a medical procedure.  There were always very strict rules to follow.

One time many years ago I was surprised by an attack from a mental patient.  He had a long history of unprovoked attacks and had seriously injured nursing staff; he was brain damaged and impulsive.  But I'd known him six months without incident and I forgot.  Also I didn't know the doctor had changed his meds.

He jumped out of his chair and punched me in the head.  My head went whang-whang-whang and I staggered back a step.  He'd spun me a bit, and my vision narrowed to a tunnel with the adrenaline dump, so I couldn't see him at all, couldn't find him.  So naturally he hit me again.  I staggered back another step, head went w-w-w, and a little voice said, "sh!t".  Couple more times, I'd step back, he'd punch me in the head again, the little voice kept screaming at me to do something.  After about punch 5 or 6, the little voice said, "hey moron, if stepping back is getting you hit.........." so I stepped forward and ran into him. 

Now I knew where he was.  Grabbed him, picked him up in a double leg takedown, bounced him down perhaps slightly less gently than I was supposed to, climbed on top and held him immobile, and called for some assistance to take him to a seclusion cell. 

In hindsight that little voice was kind of interesting.  It was like somebody was talking to me, almost like a playbyplay in sports.     

Tim

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:43:03 PM
the little voice kept screaming at me to do something. 

I am amazed you did not end up as a patient.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:59:08 PM
I don't start them, I end them.

Occasionally, throughout my life, I come across people who imprudently think it's a good idea to attack me. I reciprocate with a single use of force: I pull my punches and apply the amount needed to send the message "don't try that again" through the person's skull. If they continue to fight after that, everything is mere defense. If the person poses danger, I use the force needed to incapacitate them, however much is needed.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:12:04 PM

Occasionally, throughout my life, I come across people who imprudently think it's a good idea to attack me.

Outside of a mental hospital, that's never happened to me.

Either you're astoundingly unlucky, or .........could it be you sometimes act like a jerk and provoke them?

Aikido had four levels of violence:  Commit an unprovoked attack and kill your enemy, provoke your enemy to attack so you can kill him, be a victim of a completely unprovoked attack and kill him, or be a victim of a completely unprovoked attack but respond without hurting him. 
Tim

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:16:31 PM
When I see a guy acting like a total jerk, who's really got a pounding coming to him, I try to remember two things:

1.  No need for me to act, there's probably 10 guys standing in line to take care of it

2.  Best to be careful, because he just might have learned something from the last 10 encounters!
Tim

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:20:19 AM

Either you're astoundingly unlucky, or .........could it be you sometimes act like a jerk and provoke them?

Aikido had four levels of violence:  Commit an unprovoked attack and kill your enemy, provoke your enemy to attack so you can kill him, be a victim of a completely unprovoked attack and kill him, or be a victim of a completely unprovoked attack but respond without hurting him. 

Akido is for pussies, GO KUNG FU!

....I merely jest.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:33 AM
Fight has loose definitions.

To me it implies violence mutually consensual.  Both people are angry enough they are willing to duke it out.   I had one of those when I was 9 or 10.  We swung clumsily at each other until we got tired, neither doing any damage due to lack of skill.  Grownups don't do this (unless drunk I guess; I don't get that drunk). 

Others might want to include fighting with an attacker - could be a robber, domestic partner, feral dog, etc.  That's nonconsensual violence.  I'd call it combat rather than a fight.  A fight generally includes some limitations on damage and at least internal rules.   

As an aide in a mental hospital I've probably subdued or helped subdue >100 patients.  Some of them were small or weak, some large and powerful.  I don't call that a fight, more like force applied as a medical procedure.  There were always very strict rules to follow.

One time many years ago I was surprised by an attack from a mental patient.  He had a long history of unprovoked attacks and had seriously injured nursing staff; he was brain damaged and impulsive.  But I'd known him six months without incident and I forgot.  Also I didn't know the doctor had changed his meds.

He jumped out of his chair and punched me in the head.  My head went whang-whang-whang and I staggered back a step.  He'd spun me a bit, and my vision narrowed to a tunnel with the adrenaline dump, so I couldn't see him at all, couldn't find him.  So naturally he hit me again.  I staggered back another step, head went w-w-w, and a little voice said, "sh!t".  Couple more times, I'd step back, he'd punch me in the head again, the little voice kept screaming at me to do something.  After about punch 5 or 6, the little voice said, "hey moron, if stepping back is getting you hit.........." so I stepped forward and ran into him. 

Now I knew where he was.  Grabbed him, picked him up in a double leg takedown, bounced him down perhaps slightly less gently than I was supposed to, climbed on top and held him immobile, and called for some assistance to take him to a seclusion cell. 

In hindsight that little voice was kind of interesting.  It was like somebody was talking to me, almost like a playbyplay in sports.     

All of them are fights in my eyes!
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 03:56:13 PM

I'm neither. I'm just hated for reasons I can't exactly ascertain.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:42 PM
I'm neither. I'm just hated for reasons I can't exactly ascertain.

It must be your hair, get a new haircut.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:09 PM
Not really sure if this counts...

Special Forces, US Army, two tours in country, early-mid '60s.
Ian

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 12:48:57 AM
I've never fought in my live, well maybe during sparring.

I'm a pacifist and I'm pretty weak minded.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 04:38:51 AM
It must be your hair, get a new haircut.

I've tried that. It's gotten better since my natural rat tail shortened. I really hated that thing.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 04:57:56 AM
I've tried that. It's gotten better since my natural rat tail shortened. I really hated that thing.

Peter Pettigrew is that you!?

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 03:17:33 PM

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 03:41:06 AM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert