Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonatas op. 2 n°3 and 81a compare/ contrast? and difficulty?  (Read 3856 times)

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Hey everyone. So I am trying to decide between the two (C major and Les Adieux) for my next Beethoven Sonata. They are so different but I can't play them both right now. Which one is the most accessible technically? and musically? I know 2-3 is way longer but I have heard 81a is very hard to connect with emotionally. Thanks! Any input regarding this would be appreciated. Even if you only can give info on one of the sonatas, I would appreciate the extra knowledge! -Aaron

Offline michaeljames

• PS Gold Member
There's really no comparison between the two.  They're both beautiful, but 81a is FAR more difficult than Op. 2, #3.  While I've studied 81a with my coach, I just finished sight reading through the entire Op. 2 #3 Sonata (all movements) and it's quite readable and much easier, IMHO.

To truly play 81a at tempo can be challenging.  Without knowing your capabilities, it's really hard for anyone to judge. 

Again, IMHO, there's no comparison between the two. 

Offline michaeljames

• PS Gold Member
I have to say I highly recommend learning Opus 2, #3!!! Since your original post came to my attention, I've been working on it and it is a blast to play.  The second movement is a bit of a snooze, but the first and the fourth (especially the fourth!!!) are very satisfying!!!! Not very difficult at all, but really fun to play.

Please let me know which Sonata you decide on!

Michael

Offline michaeljames

• PS Gold Member
Hey everyone. So I am trying to decide between the two (C major and Les Adieux) for my next Beethoven Sonata. They are so different but I can't play them both right now. Which one is the most accessible technically? and musically? I know 2-3 is way longer but I have heard 81a is very hard to connect with emotionally. Thanks! Any input regarding this would be appreciated. Even if you only can give info on one of the sonatas, I would appreciate the extra knowledge! -Aaron

Soooo.....which one did you decide upon?

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Soooo.....which one did you decide upon?

Um I am not sure yet. Op. 2-3 looks very fun, but not quite as in depth musically. I really want something to deeply express so I am leaning towards Les Adieux. I don't have to make my decision until April 15 though, so I have a while to experiment with both. :) Also, I have never played anything longer than 20 mins (other than the op 2 no 2 which I am playing now) so going to the 30 minute op 2 no 3 might be hard memory wise. :)

Offline michaeljames

• PS Gold Member
Thanks for checking back in.  I've been curious about you since you got me hooked on 2/3! 

While 2/3 may be 30 minutes long, there are MANY repeated sections so I don't think it's as daunting as you may think it is.  Truly. And there are some truly sweet sections in 2/3.

Good luck with your choice.

Michael

Offline etogmajor

• PS Silver Member
I would choose op. 2 no 3.

For my upcoming exam, I'm preparing opus 81a and I regret choosing it. I love the piece. It was my gateway piece into Beethoven, but man is the last movement ridiculous. Getting those runs up to time is... I just don't know how it's done. Now, I've practiced the piece too much and it's gone stale.

With the 1st and 2nd movement of 81a, neither of them are too hard, but the musicality required is more "off the page" than usual, especially the 1st movement intro and most of the 2nd movement. I always hear different recordings with very different interpretations. The 3rd movement is more or less played the same, and that's just prestissimo.

There's just so much to consider with Les Adieux. The piece is much more approachable if you have access to someone really knowledgeable with Beethoven's works to help you through the piece.

Since Op. 2, No. 3 is in Beethoven's early style, it's more typically classical. General classical era knowledge will get you a lot further than Beethoven's middle and late period works.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member

Given your most awesome recordings of op2 no 3 in the audition room you chose well.  :)
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=63205.msg673304;topicseen#msg673304

Offline aaronpetit

• PS Silver Member
Given your most awesome recordings of op2 no 3 in the audition room you chose well.  :)
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=63205.msg673304;topicseen#msg673304

Thanks again!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert