Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Estonia pianos  (Read 3135 times)

Offline PianoBaba

• PS Silver Member
Estonia pianos
on: February 28, 2003, 08:46:54 PM
Hello, I am currently in the market for a grand piano, and one manufacture I am considering is Estonia.  Does anyone have any experience with recent Estonia pianos (I understand there has been significant design changes and a substantial jump in quality in the past few years)?

Thank you,

David

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Re: Estonia pianos
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 08:26:19 AM
I do not have any personal experience with them.  I have not played one, but I have heard that the ones being built right now are considerably better than those in the past, and they are quite nice pianos.  Not much to go on, but they are being carried by a store called Classical Grands in Seattle, Washington.  I think they can be found on www.classicalgrands.com

they are very knowledgeable and nice there.  They can give you lots of info, and maybe a good deal!
So much music, so little time........

Offline willster

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 06:59:24 PM
played on a friends one recently- although he doesn't know how old it is but i'm guessing around 10 years. This one is a 9ft concert grand but it really is nothing special. The action is way too heavy, the bass is too strong and the keys were plastic. Having slated it though, it was quite fun to play on coz of the size and the power in the bass range. If you like to play Mozart, haydn, beethoven etc.... then DONT buy one of these. These are not subtle pianos!!

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 06:26:33 AM
Full Disclosure = I am a dealer and I sell Estonia pianos among others.

Do yourself a favor. Find a dealer and go play the new Estonia pianos. It is true that the older Estonias lacked alot of the fine finishing that is seen in them today. It is not fair to compare one of their pianos made closer to the Communist era.

Communism didn't encourage anything but mediocrity in any endeavor. I have heard a Russian describe the situation he lived in like this, "They pretended to pay us and we pretended to work."

There have been tremendous improvements in these pianos. Please don't just take my word on this. Play them.
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert