Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ravenscroft Piano  (Read 3934 times)

Offline rangerx

Ravenscroft Piano
on: January 24, 2014, 10:52:42 PM
has anyone here had a chance to hear or try this piano if so, whats your opinion

https://www.ravenscroftpianos.com/

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ravenscroft Piano
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:07:15 AM
Certainly not a 'bad' piano, but I certainly wouldn't pay the asking price!

I actually liked the 7' model more than the 9' model.

Are you at NAMM by any chance?

Offline rangerx

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:22:36 AM
No too far for me just curious
 I sort of hear a bechstein sound with the ravenscroft, another piano that seems good is Stuart and sons more of a unique sound, none of these grands are affordable just dreaming, nice to dream

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 01:40:46 AM
I'd like to eventually try a Stuart and Sons, but I can't imagine flying all the way to Australia! 

The Stuarts seem to sound extremely clear and powerful. I'm not quite sure how they differ from pianos made by Fazioli in that regard.

The extended range could definitely be fun to play with, though!

Overall, I think the niche for customized, one-of-a-kind limited-production pianos is a bit silly. After all, pianos are not like violins. The are machines!

Why pay over $300k for piano, when you could by a used or rebuilt Steinway D for a fraction of the cost?

A good Steinway D sound SO good....

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:58:51 PM
would love to see one of these out in the wild, the namm shows are the best bet, exceptionally rare, i think they produce what maybe 2 instruments per year? a semi and full concert grand? the semi i think sells for 230K USD, it's about as 'bespoke'/custom as you can get, this is the upper eschelons of the market, cannot even imagine how cool these must be to play/listen to live (in the right acoustic conditions)

here's a cool viddy (x2)

anyone on the boards (maybe now vs back when op posted) had a chance to experience these?

Offline yamahakeys

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 07:33:25 PM
Or you could test drive via the virtual piano sofware:

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/Ravenscroft-By-VI-Labs

There are some fun youtube videos from NAMM posted by the software maker

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:00 PM
Or you could test drive via the virtual piano sofware:

https://www.vilabsaudio.com/Ravenscroft-By-VI-Labs

There are some fun youtube videos from NAMM posted by the software maker
that doesn't make any sense how do you virtually test drive a piano. i don't see how i can get a feel for the action or the high end tone decay or overtone richness , or amount of volume coming the instrument....
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert