Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: New Kawaii  (Read 7561 times)

Offline jernst

New Kawaii
on: February 11, 2014, 05:11:16 PM
I am buying a new Kawaii GX2 or GX3. I can't really afford either, but am going for it after exhausting my search for used and honestly want to be positive of what I am getting.

What is a good price for either? After talking with the dealer, I believe I will offer 17K for the GX2 and 19K for the GX3. Is this too much? Is this a good price?

Thanks.

Offline jernst

Re: New Kawaii
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 05:43:34 PM
OMG! I am so in the same boat. I can't decide between the GX3 and GX2 as honestly, they both sound the same to me and I am not sure it is worth the few thousand dollars more. Thoughts?
I can't afford either either, but like you, am going for it!
The lowest I got from my dealer was 21,700. Then, there is a Kawaii rebate through March 31, so that puts it at 20, 900. I think the GX2 if I remember (quotes in my car), was three thousand less than that minus a 600$ rebate. I feel pretty good about these prices. Ive been working with the dealer for quite sometime now and have grown to trust and like him quite a bit. Especially after meeting others who are liars and cheats!

Please let me know what you find out and how much you offer if you get it for less! Also, GX2 or GX3 and why????

Julie

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:04:33 PM
Now, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure "Kawai" is the piano and "Kawaii" means cute.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:54:18 AM
At 5'11" there is nothing wrong with the size of the GX2, it will fit most living room or parlor situations and beyond. The GX3 in larger spaces may sound a bit fuller, slightly more bold. It's not going to be a huge difference but it's there someplace.

The price, in ten years you won't know the difference or care. Get the piano that fits you and fits your situation and that's the best you can possibly do. You should sit at a piano and feel it's yours before you write the check. That's the piano you want to own.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:06:14 AM
The pain of the financial hit is temporary.  In a couple years time you will be thankful that you made the purchase.  You need to be sure that the piano you are choosing is the one that speaks to you, that is by far the more important decision. 

Choose the piano that fits into your living space.  If you have a choice between sizes, it is usually safe to choose the larger one (as long as it fits in your space). 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert