Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Street Price of Pianos  (Read 1581 times)

Offline night_hawk

Street Price of Pianos
on: February 23, 2014, 12:58:54 AM
Hello, everyone!

I am currently looking for pianos in the New York Area, and I found some pianos that were quite nice. Unfortunately, they were quite expensive. I was wondering, for a 6' (ish) Bluthner/Boesendorfer/C. Becstein, how much money can be haggled through bargaining?
The stores that I have visited are Faust Harrison and Allegro Pianos on Piano Row in New York. I will be visiting their respective factories in the following weeks. Is there anything I should know about these stores? In general, how will bargaining work on these stores? Are there any other stores that I should know of?

Thank you!

Offline pianoparent2013

• PS Silver Member
Re: Street Price of Pianos
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:13:42 AM
Street pricing is listed under SMP in Larry Fine's free on-line PianoBuyer.com book.

We have found that for some dealers and some brands, there is even some room for negotiation below SMP. Larry Fine explores this possibility for each of the brand in his book. It turns out the numbers are very close. 

We experienced this willingness to work under SMP when looking at a 6-ft grand and was working towards a nice deal before a person with a heftier checkbook bought the piano at asking price.

Good luck and enjoy your search!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert