Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Size  (Read 1143 times)

Offline night_hawk

Piano Size
on: February 23, 2014, 09:54:27 PM
Hello, everyone!

I am currently in the process of looking for a new piano, and I was wondering about the ideal size for the room. The room is about 15x17 feet with a ceiling that is 9 feet at its lowest point and a little more than 10 at its highest. There's quite a large opening into the rest of the house (about 8x8.5 feet and a 4x4 window into the rest of the house). There's not much tapestry (just some curtains), but I'm going to get a carpet to put under the piano so that the sound doesn't bounce off of the wood floor. What do you guys think is too big for this room? 6'? 7'? I understand that it is difficult to judge without actually being here, but what is your experience with medium-sized rooms?

Thank you!

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Size
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:07:44 PM
Chances are a full concert grand would be too big.  However, any grand over 6 feet should be fine; your room is smaller -- but not that much smaller -- than the one in which my Steinway A is located and it isn't a problem.

Try it without the carpet first, though...
Ian

Offline night_hawk

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:30:42 PM
How much tapestry do you have in your room?
How loud can you play on your Steinway before it becomes too loud?

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:48 PM
Hmm, if you can afford a 7'/220cm instrument, definitely get it. I really don't like the muddy bass of 6' instruments.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 11:56:21 PM
How much tapestry do you have in your room?
How loud can you play on your Steinway before it becomes too loud?
The room has a carpet over the centre, but not under the piano.  Walls and ceiling are plaster (real plaster!) except part of one which is a bookcase.

How loud can I play?  I play with the lid up, and on some pieces I give her all she'll take -- and I'm fairly strong!
Ian
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert