Piano Forum

Poll

Did I start too late?

Yes
1 (25%)
No
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Did I start piano too late?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline invisiblez

Did I start piano too late?
on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:07 PM
I started piano when I was 12, I am looking forward to getting into a top music school such as new England or Julliard. I have been playing three years and can play Beethoven sonata no.1 fairly well. Could I possibly make it?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Did I start piano too late?
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:33:19 PM
Barry Manilow got into Juilliard. Of course you can.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:47 PM
Barry Manilow got into Juilliard. Of course you can.  ::)
Good heavens.  I didn't know that.  If he could do it, anybody can...
Ian

Offline invisiblez

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:12:07 AM
wait who is this barry?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:16:28 AM
wait who is this barry?

Oh, and not that one, he didn't.

Sorry people!  :-[
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 03:50:13 AM
Barry Manilow did indeed finish his Bachelor of Music at Julliard .... perhaps in composition or voice? ;D

He is a brilliant enterpreneur as he knew how to adapt.  He wanted to be "succesful" and the opportunities were around, so he made full use of it.  And most of all, he knew what the "masses" wanted.  Perhaps if he stuck to classical, you could almost say with certainty, he would not have risen as it would require much, much more.
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:57:03 AM
He is a brilliant enterpreneur as he knew how to adapt. 

Indeed. He even adapted into an effective crowd control mechanism.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:04 PM
LOL!!  ;D ;D ;D

In fairness it was a shopping mall in NZ which is piping Manilow's music in the hope that juvenile ruffians in the shopping mall would find it soothing and will cool down their hyperactivity.

However ... the article comtinues ... the CIA uses music by Red Hot Chili Peppers, to bully Al Qaeda leader Abu Zabaydah and also music by Van Halen, Whitesnake, and Black Sabbath as part of their "enhanced interrogation" program. This was what probably convinced Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega that he'd rather spend the rest of his life in a federal supermax than sit through another minute of "War Pigs."  ;D :D ;) :) ;D ;D

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:20:43 PM
If twelve is starting too late, I'm positively doomed as far as piano goes.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:38:31 PM
You know you could go to a normal school for undergrad then to go a conservatory for grad.

Even if people did care about music degrees, they would care about your graduate degree nt undergrad.

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:44 AM
You know you could go to a normal school for undergrad then to go a conservatory for grad.

Even if people did care about music degrees, they would care about your graduate degree nt undergrad.

You are completely naive.  No one cares what kind of music degree you have, even if it's a doctorate.  It's a music degree after all.  :P

And it's really stupid to go to college for a music degree.  I should know.  I have a music degree and it's completely useless.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:09:36 AM
You are completely naive.  No one cares what kind of music degree you have, even if it's a doctorate.  It's a music degree after all.  :P

And it's really stupid to go to college for a music degree.  I should know.  I have a music degree and it's completely useless.
No.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 01:13:00 AM

As a father to a son who just recently gone to college for a music degree, I am a bit worried and intrigued by your sweeping statement. :(  I am sorry as it seems your experience with going to college for a music degree amounted to being a useless endeavor; but stating that pursuing a music degree is stupid and useless may be stretching it a bit too far.

I say this because at least in our country, the chances of landing a University position or having a good number of students in one's private studio or having better attendances in one's concerts are all significantly bolstered by a music degree.  I think that also goes in Europe and in the US.  Of course, one can always cite specific examples to the contrary, but in general, if you want to teach music, be a member of an orchestra, put up your private studio, etc. your music degree should come in very handy. Just my take on the subject, but perhaps you may want to expound on it. THANKS.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert