Piano Forum logo
July 23, 2018, 03:36:50 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Recommended Book: Chopin - The Four Ballades

In an illuminating discussion, Jim Samson combines history and analysis to provide a comprehensive picture of these popular piano works. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to find a better method book  (Read 1724 times)
dagny_taggart
PS Silver Member

« on: March 03, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »

I have been teaching for three years and I use Alfred's and Bastien's as teaching methods but I am bored with them and actually want a more classical approach or even more creative, especially for my adults who hate the Alfred's series. What other method books are there out there? I know about Piano Adventures and I have been using their performance books but not their method books. What other decent options would you recommend?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
joebloom
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »

When I was teaching, I used Michael Aaron method books. Check them out!
dagny_taggart
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:20 PM »

When I was teaching, I used Michael Aaron method books. Check them out!

Why do you like that method?
czernyragtimepianoplayer
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:04:55 AM »

I know that there are several alternative 'Piano Method Books' available out there, either at your local piano music/book store or try www.sheetmusicplus.com.  If you'd like a more 'old school' approach in teaching, try Ferdinand Beyer's Op. 101, or Carl Czerny's Op. 823 or 599, or a more 'Modern' and very good book series would be John Thompson's "Modern Course', there are 5 books in this series, and this will really help anyone of any age to not only learn to play the piano, BUT TO THINK "MUSICALLY", also Thompson has very beautiful "mature" sounding pieces in this Modern Course - but YOU MUST LOOK EVERYWHERE, remember - SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND!  Ask your student "what" they want or like or enjoy in a "Piano Method Book", get some feed-back from them and their parents too, most od all NEVER GIVE UP ON YOUR STUDENTS...!!! Smiley
loikkanen
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:41:59 PM »

Try Piano Town by Keith Snell/Diane Hidy.
stevenarmstrong
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:34:50 AM »

thompson, Bastein, Alfreds et al are a part of the reason why the the so-called "Mozart prodigies" are far and few between. Biggest waste of time. There's no reason why a student, no matter what age, can't be taught that 'this' note here is a C, 'that' one is a D, so what do you think this one above the D is? It aint rocket science!! I sent you a link to my dropbox folder where I collect method books I find on IMSLP. Feel free to go through them. It's a start at least. There are still more on IMSLP.

Hope that helps Smiley

Debussy Preludes 1:4, 2:9.
Beethoven Op. 22
Medtner Op. 5
Shchedrin Basso Ostinato
Silvestrov Op. 2
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: