Piano Forum

Topic: Further studies for a MA?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline sashr

Further studies for a MA?
on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:31 AM
I am a professional pianist, working as an accompanist. I've graduated (MA) for some years ago but I'd still like someone to give me some feedback and advice. Lately I've been thinking if I could still apply for some further studies. One of my special interests is lied / art song and I'd like to deepen my understanding in that field. But what kind of possibilities are there left for me when I am already 34 years old? Some postgraduate programmes seem to have age limitations but some don't mention anything about the subject. How is it in Britain? In Germany? Other European countries? US? Is there anything I could apply for or should I simply try to find a private teacher? Or forget about it all? I am not interested in doctoral studies as they would take years to complete.

I appreciate every piece of information or advice you may have!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Further studies for a MA?
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:39:41 PM
You don't need a degree for knowledge.  If it is something you are really interested in, you'll probably get a better education if you studied it independent from a school.  A music degree is almost useless and is entirely useless if you don't intend on teaching at a college.

As for the independent study, libraries are incredibly helpful, especially the well-stocked ones.

Offline sashr

Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:50:03 PM
The point here is not to have another degree but meet other people, play with them, have discussions, get feedback, make friends, learn languages (I'd like to know e.g. English better) etc. Professional networking doesn't happen in libraries as muchs as I love them - I have always used libraries a lot. Knowledge is not exactly what I'm looking for but interaction with colleagues. Who knows if I'll then find also a job in a new country and stay there for a longer period.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:22:27 AM
Oh, it's the social connections you want.  Then join a local music club or audition for an opera/play/ensemble or something like that.  The likelihood of meeting an music academic is slim to begin with but generally, the better the musician, the more knowledgeable they tend to be.  The other option are online forums.

Offline sashr

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
I'm surprised to get these cowardly nasty comments. Why bother commenting when there's nothing relevant to say? Anyway it was my mistake to expect that there would be all kinds of pianists reading the forum, not only malicious wannabes. And that's how you can see I'm not an experienced forum visitor...  ;D

The person obviously gets irritated about the academic part of my question even when I'm not emphasizing it myself. The fact is anyway that many world class musicians teach in universities (whether or not they feel "academic" themselves). The feedback students can get there isn't available in an average working life.

I think my forum career has now come to an end. Thanks for the highly constructive views!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01:08 PM
Did anyone else think I was being insulting?  I don't think anything I wrote was anything than what you read into it.  I thought I was being very helpful by offering suggestions on where you could meet people.  Maybe you're just a bit lonely and insecure so you interpret things in negative ways when they are anything but.  :-\

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:39:06 AM
The discourse in this thread to this point has been rather level headed.  There is no need to throw a fit because you have not yet found what you are in search of. 

Engaging in professional networking with fellow musicians will expose you to a whole array of people with oftentimes very diverse personalities and cultural backgrounds.  Both performing and academic musicians can hold strong opinions of certain topics.  Within communicable exchange between these professionals most certainly you will be thrown curve balls and statements by music colleagues that will leave you taken back, or even at times seem outlandish and out right bizarre.  It is the nature of the beast, and knowing how to craft meaningful responses to those statements is part of the networking game. 

Forums are an excellent way to pursue the activity it seems you are after.  Don't be too quick to dismiss something because you are just unfamiliar with it. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert