Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Suggestion: Notation app in the forums  (Read 1995 times)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Suggestion: Notation app in the forums
on: March 06, 2014, 07:11:07 AM
That would make communicating specific musical ideas easier to do instead of having to scan/photograph and then upload it.  If it could also allow fingerings to be notated that would be even better.  Just a thought.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Suggestion: Notation app in the forums
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:47:47 AM
Interesting.

A drawing pad could work, same idea.  Although standard notation would be easier to read.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:37:48 AM
Perhaps a drawing pad with pre-made notation symbols so it's simply click and paste.  I hate the automated rest function on some of those notation programs.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:10:21 AM
If there was a site that would let you paste a screen clip, and turn that clip into an image available online.... That would make it easy to do nicer notation with your software at home and then post a clip quickly.  I suppose you could do something similar if you turn a screen clip into an image yourself and post it somewhere.

Then again, not everyone will have notation software.  If it's on a site somewhere... Plus a site that will post screen clips... We'd be set.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
Maybe something like a MuseScore app that is integrated with forum software.  MuseScore is a free open source notation program. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 01:17:51 AM
I hate musescore on the basis that I haven't figured out how to use it. It's too complicated for the purpose I suggested.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:00:52 PM
What ever happened to Finale Notepad?  Was free, then they charged...

https://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale-notepad/

Free again, but you have to register?

Use Finale Notepad.  Take a screen clip.  Turn it into an image file.  Post it online somewhere.  Then link it on a thread here.   That's still a lot of steps though. 

Offline khantallis123

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:02:30 PM
I think Musescore is easier than Finale Notepad. Why not use "Chinese notation"? Easy to type in. And also, for some non-Chinese, one source says the notation comes from France! Easier to learn than Musescore, even when you're old. Useful too, when interested in Chinese folk songs.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert