Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Teaching  (Read 1676 times)

Offline pianoplayer51

• PS Silver Member
Teaching
on: April 03, 2014, 09:27:19 AM
I go to a private independent music school and have a good teacher.  She also teaches privately at her own house.

Are music teachers at these kind of schools equipped to teach music in a high school for 11-16 year olds.  I mean, like every child has to go to school, music is part of the national curriculum so would my own piano teacher be able to apply for such a job, after all, if she is employed in the music school I am at which takes people both adult and child who want to learn music and also if music is part of the national curriculum in high school, wouldnt what they learn at an independent music school clash with what they learn at school?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teaching
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:48:45 AM
Just because one teaches in a private school does not mean that same person is qualified to teach in the public school system. 

For example, in the part of Canada where I live you need to meet certain requirements:

1) Complete a minimum three-year degree.  This is your area of specialty.  In our case we are most likely talking about a BMus or equivalent.

2) Complete a BEd degree.

3) Be certified by the college of teachers, and pay annual membership fees. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert