\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Teaching method (Read 2337 times)

Offline kabarie

Teaching method
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
Hi there, I've only been teaching for about a year and have used Alfred's basic Piano methods. I don't want to get into religious debate or anything but would love to hear suggestions of some secular teaching methods for the young student per request of the parents. I love Alfred's straight forward method but don't love the odd Jesus song thrown in...don't want to feel like an indoctrinator lol! Thank you.

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
Re: Teaching method
«Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline kabarie

«Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanx for the advice. I just mean songs like jesus loves me or morning prayer stuff.

Offline Mayla

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianoteacheruk

«Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »
You could always go back to one of the traditional methods such as F. Beyer's Beginning the Piano

Offline bbannett

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:10:34 AM »
Alfred has a new beginning method called Alfred Premier.  It includes good progressive short pieces, pleasant illustrations and a corresponding Theory book for each level.  No religion!
Other good methods are Hal Leonard, Faber & Faber (they also have a series for older beginners, and one for adults) and Helen Marlais "Succeeding at the Piano".  I use all of these and others to avoid becoming bored by hearing the same material all day!