Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano exam NYSSMA VS ABRSM?  (Read 6239 times)

Offline teafunly

• PS Silver Member
Piano exam NYSSMA VS ABRSM?
on: April 18, 2014, 07:18:43 AM
Hi! i have a student coming to me saying she wanna do grade 8 of abrsm for next year saying that he has finished NYSSMA grade 5 in the past, since i huv no background on this US system, would anyone give me some advice on NYSSMA grade 5 would be equivalent to which level in ABRSM? many thanks,

Tiffany

Offline pianoteacheruk

Re: Piano exam NYSSMA VS ABRSM?
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:17:36 PM
The best thing would be to get them to play the pieces they did for this exam and see for yourself what level they are. And give them some ABRSM grade 5 music to sight read, if they are around grade 8 they should be able to sight-read at grade 5 level.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano exam NYSSMA VS ABRSM?
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:42:25 PM
I was not aware that the US have grading systems too.  Is this a recent thing?  US music colleges must be wanting to get a share in the lucrative business called piano exams.  At a piano course last year, I met a piano professor at Royal College of Music in London, who was also ABRSM's diploma examiner.  He didn't have a lot of nice things to see about ABRSM!
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert