Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Stuck in between a rock and a hard place  (Read 1338 times)

Offline piano6888

Stuck in between a rock and a hard place
on: May 02, 2014, 10:01:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a bind right now and I am in need of finding a recording place to record some new covers, however, the place that I previously recorded at is not able to accommodate my needs or able to reserve a place.  I'm also on a tight budget so I'm only able to afford a $40 mic (which is good for it's price) and also not able to get high end recording studios.

I can't afford to buy a piano either and in case people are wondering, the piano I recorded on before was a Steinway D, but that was rented from the piano store in my local area because I cannot afford a grand piano.  I am wondering if I could find a place where I would have access to a grand piano and be able to record covers on it.  I have considered churches and cathedrals, but to my knowledge, I don't believe that they would just allow someone who isn't a member of their church or is just doing some one-off events/reservations. 

Does anyone know what I could do in this situation?
-

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Stuck in between a rock and a hard place
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:09:24 PM
Try churches.  They might let you do it, no strings.  Or offer to play some special music for them a few times.  Give and take that way.  I've heard of that before.  A church might consider it "doing good" or helping out the community, member or not.

Local schools?  College or university?  Recording studio?  Find someone with a decent piano?

I suppose there might be some trick like "going shopping for a grand piano" and recording yourself.  Haha.   Yeah.  Just tell a sales persons you want to record your performance on different pianos so you can compare the tone of the piano later. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline piano6888

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:53:05 AM
I will look into churches, though I'm not sure if ALL churches have grand pianos there (but I'll settle for less if and only if absolutely necessary). 

As far as local schools, I don't believe they have good pianos, especially public schools (I even remember when I was at my high school many years ago, they had an dilapidated, out-out-tune Kawai upright.). 

Also, when I went to a music conservatory around my local area (which has very nice pianos), I don't think they will allow it; hell, even the school had policies against letting non-faculty and students touch the pianos. 

The only person I know (personally) is my piano teacher from my music conservatory about 5-6 years ago that has a grand piano, but of course I don't want to sound very desperate (or weird) by asking him like that.

Finally, regarding the sales person, it's the same problem with the piano store that I previously had before.  I would simply just not be able to get a recording there, plus other stores would most likely have customers around and stuff (just not appropriate place to record a cover).
-

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 04:17:44 AM
If it's a one time thing, you just have to get on a piano for a certain amount of time.... Sounds like your piano teacher knows more.  I would just ask that person.  Not begging.  But just say you want to record somewhere for low cost and do they know of any place.  Can't hurt.  Then they can play savior and let you in somewhere you're not supposed to be for a couple hours to record.  Done.

Offline piano6888

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:27:32 AM
To be more specific, no it's not going to be a one time thing since I'm going to cover a breadth of repertoire (classical to electronic to video game music, etc.) and also, I have to take many takes as well.  I think the problem with the previous place I recorded at was that since it wasn't a one time recording, the owner was unable to accommodate for multiple sessions.  (I can understand that because it is a burden.)

In fact, my piano teacher does not know of many places to go for, and I would really not want to bug him and implore him to allow me to get on his piano at home.
-

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 05:39:31 AM
Try churches, offer them a donation to fix their leaky roof or their fundraising campaign.  You might even offer to sub for a service. 

Look at non-profit arts organizations.  They may have studios you can use.  Offer to volunteer your time for a couple hours in return. 

Sound engineering students.  They may have to do school related recording projects and are looking for artists to record. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline saranoya

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:46:51 AM
I sympathise with your situation. There were a few months last year when I was without a piano, because I was without a place to live: my old apartment had been let to someone else, and the new one wasn't ready to move into, yet.

I played at churches and at music stores during that time, going to a different place nearly every day, particularly with the piano stores, because I didn't want anyone to catch on to the fact that I wasn't actually going to buy a piano.

Eventually, I found a place nearby that provides rehearsal space to aspiring bands for very reasonable prices. They offered me the opportunity to practice without even having to pay, as long as I'd come at a time when there was nobody else renting the space. This meant that some days, I couldn't go there to practice because everything was booked, but I had a good long run.

I like the idea, suggested above, of offering some kind of service in exchange for a church letting you use their piano. Or you could just put on a nice smile, and hope they'll let you in out of the goodness of their hearts. That's what I did, and it pretty much worked for me! 
Beginner (9/2012)
Playable
Bach 846/926/930-Beethoven 27/2 mvt 1-Burgmüller 100/3-19-Chopin 72/1-Clementi 36/1-Grieg 12/1+7-Tchaikovsky 39/9
WIP
Finish Burgmüller-Bartok Sz 56

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:54:28 AM
You could always convert or become a member of that church.  Praise the lord... and let me practice on that piano too, right? 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert