Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Any one here heard of pianist York Bowen?  (Read 1514 times)

Spatula

Any one here heard of pianist York Bowen?
on: November 27, 2004, 02:03:11 AM
Any one here heard of pianist York Bowen? Did he compose some stuff as well?  He was supposedly one of UK's finest piano performers.  ???

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any one here heard of pianist York Bowen?
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 03:36:46 AM
Never heard of him as a pianist, but his compositions are awesome. Stephen Hough recorded some of his stuff, check them out. Clearly one of the most unknown composers ever.

Spatula

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 12:05:35 AM
No kidding, not even the Naxos Labels have him.  Then again, Naxos isn't the most comprehensive label there is. 

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 12:26:24 AM
spatula, he is more famed as a composer.

he was indeed british - and probably the british equivelant to rach - the hough cd is essential stuff, check it out!  ;D

Shagdac

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 09:24:52 AM
Spat... You can order his CD at this link, as well as listen to clips from much of it:

https://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002ZX4/classicalnet-20/702-5311069-3344019

Also, sheet music can be obtained by going to:
www.piano-pal.com/bowen.htm

Hope this helps.

S :)

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 04:34:37 AM
He wrote a book on pedalling, that was all i knew of him until i picked up a score of his at a second hand bookstore.  True to the lazy tradition i have not played it yet, so i can't contribute to any discussion about his compositions.  However, i am cool.   8)
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert