Piano Forum logo
July 23, 2018, 03:34:25 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Chopin is more popular than football – at least in Warsaw

More than 3 million people visit Warsaw each year. Of those, about 200,000 visit the museum dedicated to Poland’s national music hero: Frédéric Chopin. Be a Chopin Tourist – take the 3 minute tour in the new museum! Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handel Sarabande:all variations?  (Read 1222 times)
rhopkins
PS Silver Member

« on: May 23, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »

Can someone tell me where I can find all of the variations for the Sarabande in d minor by Handel? I assume that he wrote more than 2 variations.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
j_menz
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »

I assume that he wrote more than 2 variations.

Why?  Two seems sufficient lengthwise - it's part of a suite.  Do you have any evidence of any more, like a recording?

EDIT:  The first edition is on IMSLP, and has only the two variations - and no room for missing others as it moves straight to the "Jigg".

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
rhopkins
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »

I have heard the Sarabande in a television program where the pianist played quite a few more variations--perhaps his own creations or improvisations?
j_menz
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »

I have heard the Sarabande in a television program where the pianist played quite a few more variations--perhaps his own creations or improvisations?

Possibly. Also, Handel was an inveterate recycler of his own work, so there may well be other variations spread across his works (including for different forces) that the pianist in question drew upon.

Actually - what you heard is probably this, though I can't find sheet music for it.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: