\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Transposing from C tuned instrument to Bb Clarinet. (Read 4940 times)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Transposing from C tuned instrument to Bb Clarinet.
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
Hi,

It's been years since I had to transpose for Bb Clarinet.  I'm transposing a piece for someone in our band.  I'm playing Eb on keyboard - Do I transpose my piece to D for the Bb clarinet?
thanks

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Transposing from C tuned instrument to Bb Clarinet.
«Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »
D flat, you lucky person.  Or get the clarinetist to play at concert pitch...
Ian

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Thanks Sinclair - transposing it would probably be easier than asking them to play concert pitch :)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
Doesn't the clarinet player need a written d to sound like c?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 05:30:09 PM »
Hi,

It's been years since I had to transpose for Bb Clarinet.  I'm transposing a piece for someone in our band.  I'm playing Eb on keyboard - Do I transpose my piece to D for the Bb clarinet?
thanks

If it's a Bb clarinet, you must write one whole step higher than you want it to sound. So if you want the Bb clarinet to produce an Eb ( a real Eb, that is) you have to write an F natural. If you want the clarinet to play in C major (the real key of C major), then you need to write the clarinet part in D major.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
"Play a C, sound your key," is the saying. 

More accurately... "Play a (written) C (on that instrument), sounds its key," I say.

If that helps. 

Everything a Bb clarinet reads will be written a whole step higher than concert pitch.

If you're on piano (C instrument), you'd have to write that a whole step higher for Bb clarinet.  (like everyone says here)   Or, if you have a Bb clarinet part, you'd have to play/read that down a whole step on piano (C instrument) if you want the actual pitch.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 04:29:40 AM »
For a transposing instrument, you transpose the same distance in the opposite direction.  

Example: Bb clarinet is 1 tone lower, so you would transpose 1 tone up to get the correct key for the clarinet part.  In this case, concert Eb on piano becomes F for Bb clarinet.

Example 2: A clarinet is 3 semitones lower, so you would transpose 3 semitones up for A clarinet.  Concert Eb on piano becomes Gb for A clarinet.  

Example 3: Alto sax is a major 6th lower, so you would transpose a major 6th up.  For concert Eb on piano, it will become C for alto sax.

For a Bb clarinet players, there is a trick to reading off a concert pitch score and doing a sight transposition:  read the staff as if it were an alto clef.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach