Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Purpose of slow practice?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Purpose of slow practice?
on: June 06, 2014, 05:15:20 PM
I am interested to know what you would describe as taking place within slow practice that is (presumably) not taking place in the same way during a tempo practice?  Thanks.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Re: Purpose of slow practice?
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 05:38:35 PM
I am interested to know what you would describe as taking place within slow practice that is (presumably) not taking place in the same way during a tempo practice?  Thanks.

I can only speak for myself. I would say it is creating space for oneself to hear (and more importantly FEEL) everything ahead; sensing all required musical gestures right BEFORE executing them. If this element is absent in the training of a pianist, then the execution a tempo will be musically meaningless because it will lack intonation. All the notes are there, but there's no life, no "soul" in the performance.
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:53:37 PM
As Chuan Chang says in "Fundamentals of piano practice", "always end a practice session by playing slowly at least once. This is the most important rule fot good PPI (post practice improvement)... it has such an inordinately large effect on technique improvement... you tend to pick up more bad habits while playing fast...and you can erase these habits with slw play... slow play is a good way to test whether you have really learned a piece of music"...
m1469, you may wish to read all what Chang says about slow practice in pg.43 of his book that you may free download.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:18:23 PM
When you are practicing slowly enough, one hand alone, it is possible to make abolutely no mistakes.  As after some repititions your lower brain remembers the motions better, you may practice slowly with both hands together.  If one is making note or motion mistakes, one is practicing too fast for the level one has learned the piece at that time.
If one learns the piece this way, the only excuse for forgetting during performance is if similar starting elements are repeated in a different order in different passages. 
One purpose of a teacher is to point out mistakes that one hasn't noticed yet, and doesn't have the experience to detect on one's own. 
Once the piece is up to speed with no mistakes, one has lots of opportunity to make changes in speed, volume, emphasis, for the purpose of communicating emotion.     

Offline stevensk

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 08:04:43 PM
Slow practice gives tight playing and great controll

Offline falala

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 06:19:05 PM
I am interested to know what you would describe as taking place within slow practice that is (presumably) not taking place in the same way during a tempo practice?

Um... playing the right notes.

Am I missing something here?

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 07:15:22 PM
To have control over everything, that's why.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 07:16:58 PM
After the best combinations of movements are discovered after thorough investigative practice, slow practice is used to learn (memorize) the new coordination.  Once that coordination has been learned, slow practice isn't necessary.

All too often, students inappropriately use slow practice as a way of learning notes, or for building up speed, only to hit a speed wall.  This occurs because he did not investigate the best movements and instead, jumped ahead and used the movements he already knew.  Thus, even if he could play at speed, his technique will be lacking and undeveloped.

Certain movements can be very intricate, requiring multiple changes in positions to various parts of the apparatus in fractions of a second.  (E.g. Chopin Op.10-2.) These kinds of coordination may require extended slow practice because it is more complex to isolate and refine and thus take more time to learn.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 06:24:30 AM
After the best combinations of movements are discovered after thorough investigative practice, slow practice is used to learn (memorize) the new coordination.  Once that coordination has been learned, slow practice isn't necessary.

I can't agree with that. For me slow practice is important with pieces already learned because the quality of playing easily seems to deteriorate (become sloppy) in the more tricky spots unless I return to slow practice occasionally.

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 10:37:47 AM
I am interested to know what you would describe as taking place within slow practice that is (presumably) not taking place in the same way during a tempo practice?  Thanks.

If you can sit at a piano and do a tempo during practice, then great. No need to spend time figuring out the best fingering or listening to yourself play notes. My dream

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 05:55:00 PM
I can't agree with that. For me slow practice is important with pieces already learned because the quality of playing easily seems to deteriorate (become sloppy) in the more tricky spots unless I return to slow practice occasionally.

This may be because unnecessary movements were learned (tension) so that it requires going back to try to minimize it.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 08:16:44 PM
For me slow practice is important with pieces already learned because the quality of playing easily seems to deteriorate (become sloppy) in the more tricky spots unless I return to slow practice occasionally.

This is the norm for most people, even for the greatest masters. Just as the brain tends to forget info that we do not use regularly, so the body tends to forget movement sequences that we do not use regularly, especially in such an unnatural skill as piano playing. If there is no regular slow training involved (intention), the technique required for certain movement sequences will deteriorate, even if we have learned those movement sequences up to the point of automation and up to maximum speed.
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline cometear

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 02:28:21 AM

When I first begin a new piece I play through it slowly keeping in mind any specific places that have new concepts or considerably difficult places. I'll circle them and remember to pay close attention to my technique there.

As I begin a new piece, I continue to play it slowly making sure I have the correct motions that are necessary for what I am doing. Speed comes gradually (unless of course I have a deadline). When I don't have any deadline, I do not push a piece past my technical boundary.

Once it is up to speed, I don't have to break it apart until something goes haywire.
Clementi, Piano Sonata in G Minor, No. 3, op. 10
W. A. Mozart, Sonata for Piano Four-Hands in F Major, K. 497
Beethoven, Piano Concerto, No. 2, op. 19

Offline beethovensonata

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 06:21:59 PM
1. TO learn the notes and not make ANY mistakes.
2. To get it with the metronome.
3. For muscle memory.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert