Piano Forum logo
September 22, 2018, 10:52:53 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Krystian Zimerman – An Exclusive Radio Interview with the Enigmatic Polish Pianist

Tom Service went to Basel, Switzerland, to meet up with Krystian Zimerman to talk with him about his very personal and passionate philosophy of music. In a candid discussion, Zimerman explains how the piano is like a human being to him – he owns six instruments, and is obsessive about choosing the right keyboard for the repertoire he is practicing or performing. He reveals how he is unhappy with recordings and even advises against buying his own records and also reflects on the unique relationship between performer and audience. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take the 'A' Train  (Read 2970 times)
cranston53
PS Silver Member

« on: June 27, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »

Hello,

Not sure if anyone can help me. I have a student who is looking to take the DipLCM through the London College of Music. One of the listed pieces is Take the A Train by Billy Strayhorn, published by Hal Leonard.

For the life of me, I cannot find the version that this refers to. Hal Leonard publishes all sorts of versions - all around grade 3 to 5, none of which could apply. I'm assuming it's going to be some sort of transcription??

I tried contacting the exam board, but the chap who responded, although very nice, wasn't able to help.

Any ideas of what version the repetoire list might be referring to?

Thanks in advance.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
visitor
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »

I only know of the Peterson version. Seems legit/difficult enough, perhaps inquire further with this?>

* Oscar-Peterson-Take-the-a-Train.pdf (407.63 KB - downloaded 101 times.)

visitor
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »

I only know of the Peterson version. Seems legit/difficult enough, perhaps inquire further with this?>

Cool

cranston53
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »

Thank you ever so much for your help - much appreciated.

That looks about right, in terms of standard and length (although it does look tricky, I'm terrible at transcribed jazz with its swinging triplets!).

I'll run this past the board.

Thanks again.
gvans
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »

This is a jazz standard found in many "fake" books. Playing it from a complete transcription, rather than as improvised jazz, is, IMO, a transgression and no small sin. But then...what do I know of dipCLM's and other such fine distinctions? It is a wonderful piece and a riot to play.

When in Brooklyn, you take the A train subway over to Manhattan and north to get to Harlem...the origin of the title.
Swing on!

paulabrahams
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »

If it says Hal Leonard this is definitely referring  to the Real Book, which is a collection of top lines and chords. Take The A Train is on page 398 of The Real Book, 6th Edition.
Paul
www.learnjazzpianoonline.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: