Piano Forum

Poems of Ecstasy – Scriabin’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
The great early 20th-century composer Alexander Scriabin left us 74 published opuses, and several unpublished manuscripts, mainly from his teenage years – when he would never go to bed without first putting a copy of Chopin’s music under his pillow. All of these scores (220 pieces in total) can now be found on Piano Street’s Scriabin page. Read more >>

Topic: Ranking and Listing Sonatinas  (Read 10204 times)

Offline Daniel_piano

• PS Silver Member
Ranking and Listing Sonatinas
on: November 28, 2004, 12:11:31 AM
I was wondering if someone can list all the sonatinas out there and rank them by their grades (I know, tough work)
Is there anything else other than Kuhlau and Clementi?
And what about the grades of these sonatinas?

Now, sonatinas are too underestimated and overlooked

Daniel
"Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask "Why me?" Then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up.""

Offline squinchy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ranking and Listing Sonatinas
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 03:25:36 AM
*pulls out Sonatina album that everyone within a 15 mile radius of me has because we all go to the same cluster of teachers*

Well, it looks like Clementi and Kuhlau are the big ones. Beethoven has one in G major-I think this is the one composed when he was quite young.

Diabelli also wrote one in G major, but its first movement bored me terribly. I think that's why my teacher never made me do the 2nd and 3rd. They do look more interesting, actually-the second movement is a Scherzo and has lots of hand crossing and the third movement is a Rondo. Funny-the first movement is Andantino Cantabile while the others are allegro and allegretto.

*flips*

Ah-Jan Ladislav Dussek composed a sonatina (guess the key..) in G major that I'm rather fond of. It has only two movements-an allegro that's kind of bland in the left hand but has a lyrical melody and a Rondo that's equally "charming." [Quotes are there because I think charming is a very empty, meaningless word to describe music, but I used it because I couldn't think of a better word.]

Le Squinch

P.S. I've no clue about their grades. They're all around the Clementi range, though.
Support bacteria. They're the only type of culture some people have.

Offline Daniel_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:52:28 AM

*flips*

Ah-Jan Ladislav Dussek composed a sonatina (guess the key..) in G major that I'm rather fond of. It has only two movements-an allegro that's kind of bland in the left hand but has a lyrical melody and a Rondo that's equally "charming."

Thanks after reading your message I did a search for Dussek in my music shop catalogue and I've found that he wrote two albums full of Sonatinas op. 19 and 20
I will have a look at them, since you say the Sonatina you know is so good

Thanks
"Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask "Why me?" Then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up.""

Offline Daniel_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 04:05:27 AM
Also, how many sonatinas Beethiven wrote?
And what opus number they are?
I couldn't be able to find how many Beethoven sonatinas are using google

Daniel

Offline squinchy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 05:29:14 PM
According to this website,

https://www.cdsheetmusic.com/sonateasytoc.html

Beethoven wrote at least six. As for opus number, I haven't found any sites that say them.
Support bacteria. They're the only type of culture some people have.

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 05:47:11 PM

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 10:55:45 AM
Have you considered Mozart's Viennese Sonatinas?  They're beautiful.

But in terms of whether anyone other than Clementi and Kuhlau wrote sonatinas, apart from the ones already mentioned, heaps of other composers wrote sonatinas - Sculthorpe, Bartok, Schumann.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 12, 2004, 07:21:46 PM
about same type/level of difficulty as clementi or kuhlau, diabelli wrote at least a dozen; also haydn wrote some; benda has some very nice ones (nice for kids i mean, they enjoy playing them)

Offline benardo

• PS Silver Member
sonatina opus 36
Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:49 PM
which version of the Clementine's 1st sonatina is closest to the original
thanks
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert