Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Help with Rondo Alla Turca  (Read 1951 times)

Offline thepianonoob1649

Help with Rondo Alla Turca
on: July 03, 2014, 05:35:26 PM
This is my first post, so I will introduce myself. I am Trevor Du (14 years old) and have been playing the piano for about 5 months. I have devoted my whole life to piano, but I still consider myself a total beginner (seeing people my age who have played 10 years just amazes me).

I have started Rondo Alla Turca about 2 weeks ago and can now play the whole song through, but my teacher keeps telling me that my ornamentation is wrong. Somehow I am not "rolling" the arpeggiated A major, D major, D# diminished, and E major chords correctly. I am also having trouble playing the right hand sixteenth note runs at 120 BPM (allegretto), as my hands just CANNOT move that fast. Also, there are several arpeggiated 1st inversion A major chords with an extra C# (C#,E,A,C#) that I cannot reach.

I don't know if I should just stop trying to learn all of this ornamentation stuff.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help with Rondo Alla Turca
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:34 PM
Alberti basses and rolled - arpeggiated - chords are not "ornamentation", they are foundational - fundamental.

Keep at it.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline mikeowski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:57:42 AM
Slow the piece down to where you can manage to play everything. And also try to aim at a final tempo of around 100 bpm, not 120 (which is Allegro and which Mozart would've written if he wanted it). This piece needs - in my opinion - a much slower tempo than what it is normally played at to really shine and to become more than just a show-off piece.
Think more 'Glenn Gould' and less 'Lang Lang' on this one.

As for rolling chords: Do the rolling very slowly and carefully, and if you need accent every note. It shouldn't take long before you can roll like a pro.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 01:09:04 AM
Think more 'Glenn Gould' and less 'Lang Lang' on this one.

Gould:

Lang Lang:

BTW, don't be confused by the relative durations - the last minute and a half of the Lang Lang is either unintentionally leftover silence, or an unheralded encore of the first movement of 4'33.

My own preference is a little faster than the Gould, but not much.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert