Piano Forum

Topic: Burton Harpsichords  (Read 2217 times)

Offline seanhmoss

Burton Harpsichords
on: July 08, 2014, 12:01:42 PM
This is not a piano topic, but I thought this may be a good forum to ask around about it. Are Burton harpsichords good instruments? I am told that certain harpsichords from Burton are not "historically authentic" but can they present a convincing performance of historical repertoire?

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Burton Harpsichords
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:15:42 PM
Unless memory fails me, most Burton harpsichords were (maybe are?) kits.  Therefore what you get may be rather variable, depending a lot on the skill of the person who put it together.  I have also heard -- but have absolutely no first hand knowledge on -- that the original Burton plectrum design was a bit troublesome -- but that there are decent substitutes.

All that said, "historically authentic" is a most dubious term.  Just as I would suggest for pianos, but even more so, what counts is: can the instrument which you are looking at produce the repertoire you want to play on it in a way that pleases you?  If so, fine!  If not, it doesn't matter how historically accurate it may or may not be -- it's not the right instrument for you.
Ian

Offline justharmony

• PS Silver Member
Re: Burton Harpsichords
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:54 AM
I sent you a private message - check it out. :)
JH

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert