Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: unusual technique, but sounds really good  (Read 1265 times)

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
unusual technique, but sounds really good
on: July 11, 2014, 03:29:13 PM

I think he's actually physically inhibited from using his thumb? If so that's damn impressive

Offline stevensk

Re: unusual technique, but sounds really good
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:21:24 PM

Yes its nice!
I think he is a member of the group "never use a thumb on a black key"

(there are those who think so)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:25:15 PM
Keyboard players from the time before Bach typically did not use thumbs.  Just four fingers with the thumbs hanging over the keys.  One of the reasons keyboard music from that period can feel odd at times when using modern fingering techniques.  In a nutshell, when you ran out of fingers you pick up your hand and move it to the next position.  No crossing under/over to make legato scales as is the norm today.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianoguy711

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 04:33:07 PM
I know him! haha. When I first saw the video, I knew he looked familiar. Then I remembered I met him one time in MA and we improvised over some jazz standards together, fun time.  He has a really great sense of harmony.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:10:20 PM
He uses both thumbs! It's just hard to see the right hand thumb in most of his videos.

He certainly is a master!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert