Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Question regarding audition piece's minimum difficulty level  (Read 2042 times)

Offline elev

Hello all! I might've written a little too much, but please bear with me and read the whole thing :)

I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm posting this question in the correct message board or whatnot.

So here's some background: I am a 20 year old university student, and I have taken formal private piano lessons from the age of 5-18. I stopped my lessons once I went out of state to college, but I planned on resuming them once I got back in the summer. Unfortunately, my piano teacher passed away soon after I got back home. He was a good family friend, so his death hit me pretty hard. I refused to get a new teacher out of some strange loyalty that I still held, and also I couldn't play the piano without breaking down into tears. So it has been two years since I've had a lesson, and my technique has definitely deteriorated. I used to be an advanced student, but now I'm not sure what my skill level is.

Here's my dilemma: I've finally decided to take up piano lessons again at my university, but they require an audition. The minimum skill level is Clementi's Sonatinas and Bach's 2-Part Inventions. The problem is that I'm not sure how difficult either of those are to play, so I'm not sure which pieces I will be able to play that are still in my repertoire. They sound fairly easy when I listen to them, but I would like to know your opinions on their difficulty level.

Here are the pieces that I can still play decently enough:

Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp minor no. 20
Chopin's Waltz no. 14 in E minor (although the ending is a little shaky for me now)
Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu (the ending for this is also a little shaky now)
Brahms' Rhapsody no. 2 in G minor
Grieg's Notturno in C Major
Piazzolla's Milonga Del Angel (here's a link, although the version I played may be slightly different
)
Debussy's Clair De Lune (I learned it so long ago and played it too often, now I'm too annoyed to listen to it)
Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag (same story as Clair De Lune though)

Please don't criticize my repertoire! I know a lot of them are the popular overplayed pieces, but they were requested for me to play so often that they're embedded in my muscle memory so they're the only ones I can still play well.

Out of these pieces, which two would you recommend I play? I'm most comfortable with Chopin's Nocturne and Grieg's Notturno, but I'm not sure if they pass the difficulty level. I'm also pretty comfortable with Brahms' Rhapsody, if that's better.

Any help or opinions are more than welcome. Thank you for your time!

Offline lazyfingers

... and I have taken formal private piano lessons from the age of 5-18. ...minimum skill level is Clementi's Sonatinas and Bach's 2-Part Inventions. The problem is that I'm not sure how difficult either of those are to play, so I'm not sure which pieces I will be able to play that are still in my repertoire. They sound fairly easy when I listen to them, but I would like to know your opinions on their difficulty level.
Prima facie, the Sonatinas and 2-part inventions are definitely much easier than your skill level, even if you have left the piano idle for a couple of years.

Best of luck.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
If you want to get back into piano i dont think doing it as a university course is best. To know how difficult a piece is you must simply get the sheets and play it. Only someone who is your teacher could advise you, people on the net cannot understand your capabilities even if you list pieces you play down. One needs to question how long it would take to master a piece, if it takes a long time this is an inefficient path imo. Your practicing capabilities, technique, organisation, prioritisation all need to be worked out.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline elev

Thank you for the replies! In response to lostinidlewonder, the lessons I would be taking at my university are not really a "course" because they're one on one and basically the same as any other private piano lesson one would have, so I'm not worried about my ability to learn and excel in this format. I was only really wondering if the pieces I can remember how to play surpass the "minimum difficulty level" set by the school.

Offline isyriel

its not how hard but how well you play it
you can choose to play rach 3 or prokovfiev 2 (pardon spelling I think)
or you can play greig a minor piano concerto ... what really matters is how well you play it, right ?????? RIGHT ????????????????????????????????????

so honestly as long as its not over whelmingly obvious that its a piece too easy for you, then it should be fine.  but considering you're entering uni then you should aim for something more advanced.  I saw you've played Chopin's fantasie impromptu.  try going for one of the harder nocturnes or even his ballade op38 no2. 

most importantly is to choose a piece that you like and are willing to practice.  try browsing around youtube.  theres some really interesting things around :)

good luck with what ever you choose
looking for repertoire.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert