Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Wedding Help  (Read 1957 times)

Offline tinear

Wedding Help
on: July 30, 2014, 05:02:45 AM
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I'm not sure if the students can help me. I'm getting married in a few months and plan to surprise my fiancee with a song during the reception. I have a friend helping me who's a great guitarist and singer, but we're unable to practice together frequently. I want to knock it out of the park and WOW her, but i need YOUR HELP! :) The song we'll be singing is Royal Wood's "I'm So Glad," and the piano portions are very simple-but I haven't the foggiest of how to figure them out. I will PAY YOU $25 via paypal if you help me out.
$50 if you shoot video of your hands so I can see the keys. I can memorize it once I see it.
Here's a link to the song...

Thank you so much

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Re: Wedding Help
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:13:14 AM
People responding to you in the student's corner will not be necessarily students.

There should be a chord chart somewhere in the internet. If you can read chords, you can figure it out easily, since the guitar and piano parts are quite parallel. If you can't, p.m. me and I can tell you how to.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:29 PM
I shouldn't do this but:

https://achords.com/chords/royal-wood/im-so-glad-2/

You are engaged in a dangerous pursuit.  You think of it as a gift to your wife, one that should be perfect because she deserves it.

That is not the way women are wired. 

In their eyes, you are determined to upstage your bride on the one and only day in her entire life when SHE is supposed to be the most important person.

Just don't do it.  My opinion.

Tim

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:56:53 PM
You could still do it, but not on your wedding day. Perhaps at the reception, after the wedding?
I'm hungry

Offline tinear

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 03:03:52 AM
I'm not planning on doing it during the ceremony...that would be nuts. I was planning on doing it during the reception...the thought is-my buddy who is the guitar player will be the last "speech" and then he says "I want to sing something for you guys..." then calls me up to help and I look shocked.

Really appreciate all the input. Using the guitar chords is getting me closer. The good news is I have plenty of time to perfect it.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:29 PM
I've never been married so IDK what my reaction to something like that would be, and I don't know the bride on a personal level, to say. Maybe you could ask one of her friends or ask your guitar player's wife/lady?
I'm hungry

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:46 AM
Well... He asked for help, not opinions.

Offline tinear

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:14 PM
Thank you Coda! I've tried to bite my tongue, but really guys- you think I haven't thought about any of this? You're correct when one of you said, "I don't know the bride on a personal level..." EXACTLY-you don't. And frankly, when someone said women are "wired" to be adverse to something like this, because the wedding is all about them- Well let me ask you one thing...Who is this song for? The bride. It's all about the bride and how much she is loved, and how stinking lucky I am to be with her. I'm taking the time, almost a year in advance, to obsess over memorizing and learning to play a song that professes my love to her. If that's not romantic- 'yall need to get your heads checked.
To quote Coda, "He asked for help, not opinions."
Sorry to rant, but this has been some frustrating "help."
Thank you

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:31:18 PM

Sorry to rant, but this has been some frustrating "help."
Thank you

I gave you the chords, as well as some advice.  I have been married 31 years.  I have observed that sometimes males though well intentioned do not predict how their efforts will be perceived by others.  I have also observed that females under the stress of the biggest day in their lives can react emotionally in a manner that is a complete shock to the males. 

I will now reverse what I said.  Males are hardwired to be utterly unable to assess how their actions may be perceived by others.  As proof I offer your last post, where you continue to assert basically that your spouse will react as you want because your intentions are pure and laudable. 

Aint gonna happen. 

Give the song as a gift to your wife; she'll appreciate the gesture, even if it doesn't turn out perfect.  UNLESS you play it yourself - then it becomes all about you.  And that is a very bad thing, because this is NOT your day.  The next 30 years may be your day - this one is hers.

Oh, some more advice that's going to offend you.  Traditionally the bride and groom dance the first dance.  If you're in that kind of wedding, for goodness sake take a dance lesson. 
Tim

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 04:42:33 PM
I would probably compose a friggin' symphony and hire the LSO to play it at the wedding lol  ;D
Now that I said that, why don't you and your friend compose a song :D

Offline tinear

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:02:26 PM
Tim, I appreciate the advice, but weddings have changed significantly in 31 years.
Based on the numerous women of various ages I have consulted, we'll have to agree to disagree. And Tim, if you're unable to assess how your actions will be viewed by others, don't lump all men into that category, as I was raised to be extremely empathetic. Thanks for the chords, had those 2 weeks ago. I was looking for a little more help and a little less advice.
-Andrew

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:13:59 PM
I'll be more than happy to help as soon as I get back home, if you'll still be looking for help.

Offline tinear

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 05:18:47 PM
Thanks Coda, the hang up has been some of the variations on the notes. I wan't to play it identically to the recording. I'll let you know. Really appreciate it!

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:52 PM
I'd be glad to play, if you're near central Virginia.

Might save your marriage!
Tim

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 08:27:17 PM
We were just putting our opinions out there because a marriage happens only once (if you're lucky) and you don't want to overlook things like what her friends think and what your family things about the wedding. I know it's about yall's happiness and so yeah. Everyone that is not adding helpful information, let's just wish the op luck and let someone teach him the song. I'd be happy to skype you or make videos for ya, if no one has volunteered to do so yet. PM me if that is the case.
I'm hungry

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 11:15:15 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I'm not sure if the students can help me. I'm getting married in a few months and plan to surprise my fiancee with a song during the reception. I have a friend helping me who's a great guitarist and singer, but we're unable to practice together frequently. I want to knock it out of the park and WOW her, but i need YOUR HELP! :) The song we'll be singing is Royal Wood's "I'm So Glad," and the piano portions are very simple-but I haven't the foggiest of how to figure them out. I will PAY YOU $25 via paypal if you help me out.
$50 if you shoot video of your hands so I can see the keys. I can memorize it once I see it.
Here's a link to the song...

Thank you so much

Although the guitar hand position is in G, the capo makes G#. The difference between how a G major and a G# major look is significant. But besides that, the piano part requires a level skill which you probably dont have if you have to look at the chord.  The piano will sound clunky if you dont do it right. I am not wishing to put you down or be dismissive, but the touch of the piano in this song requires more experience to make it sound right

Offline tinear

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 11:21:43 PM
I appreciate the help. I was wondering how the capo on the guitar would effect the chords. That's a big help! Thx Plunker. And I will def take that into consideration. I have until March to get this down. And no offense taken-I came here for piano advice, and I know I'm going to be clunky-Just hoping I can smooth it out before giving up. :)

Offline pianoplunker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 11:58:12 PM
I appreciate the help. I was wondering how the capo on the guitar would effect the chords. That's a big help! Thx Plunker. And I will def take that into consideration. I have until March to get this down. And no offense taken-I came here for piano advice, and I know I'm going to be clunky-Just hoping I can smooth it out before giving up. :)

The capo raises the key of the song . In this song for the guitar player it means nothing as far as hand position, but the keyboard is different. Go to this site and check the difference between G and G# and then D and D#.  https://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/  You'll probably see why you and the guitar/singer need to make sure which key. For an experienced musician, changing the key is not as big of a deal. But you may spend months learning it in the wrong key and not have the ability to change at the last minute

Offline tinear

Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 03:29:44 AM
Great. That website is really helpful. Thanks!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert