Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Problem With Roland HP-507/508  (Read 3408 times)

Offline ascolta

• PS Silver Member
Problem With Roland HP-507/508
on: August 07, 2014, 06:50:59 PM
I'v owned a Roland HP-507 for about a year and a half. Towards the end of this time I noticed that when the A4 key sounded, there was a slight buzzing or vibrating noise, the kind of noise that coins would make if left on top of a piano while being played.
I noticed that I could get rid of this sound by putting slight pressure on the control panel where all the buttons are. It seems then that this panel has the same resonance as the A4 frequency.
I have to say that this was intermittent and sometime not noticeable.
Anyway after so long the unit was replaced with a HP-508. And after only a few days I have noticed the piano has the same issue.
One might suggest that my hearing is a little extra so to speak, I would disagree. I think anyone familiar with the sound of a piano would say 'That's not right'
I recorded the issue with the first piano when it was at its worst and this was when the unit was finally replaced.

So I ask you; have any of you experienced this issue with their Roland HP-507/508 or any other digital piano?

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Problem With Roland HP-507/508
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:24 PM
Check near by objects as well, you may just be interrupting something else vibrating near the piano when you reach for the panel. I had what seemed like a vibration coming from my grand years ago and it turned out to be a lamp shade.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline carl_h

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:40:11 AM
Hello,

I have a Roland for quiet practice as well and I can confirm that a few days ago I hear some weird 'klinging' like noises (can't say if it was A4). This happend only once up till now, I think. I have the instrument for about 1,5 years.
When playing with headphones I haven't had the problem, yet.

Grts,

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
I've had something similar on practically every keyboard I've ever played. Most of them, after a bit of use, work a bit loose somewhere and it's not always something you can fix by tightening a screw. Sometimes you can find a place where wedging in a piece of folded paper or something will stop the rattle. It's not something that indicates a fundamental problem, just a minor annoyance.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert