Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Jmenz, throw me a bone?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Jmenz, throw me a bone?
on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:10 AM
If you're me in the future, then look up some lottery for the United States in 2014 for me, ok?  Or something I could bet on.  Give me that info.  Just PM it to me here.

Then I can buy a ticket or place a bet.  Lottery sounds the easiest.  I just buy one ticket and make millions.  Betting sounds more complicated.  Stocks too.  I'd have to mess with a broker.  A lottery ticket sounds like I walk into a store and buy those tickets.  One stop, done. 

If I get the money, then it will benefit you too in the future.  A win-win.  All I/you have to do in the future is send those numbers back to me today/my present.  It's an infinite loop, but as long as we keep it going, everything's ok.  Unless I assume I'll live to that point since you're there now.... and then I do something stupid that gets me killed... and then you can't send the numbers.... and then the loop is broken, but that allows you to send the numbers again, so the whole thing starts over. 

Crap... Nevermind I guess.  Stupid time paradoxes and loops....

Unless jmenz has someone else send me those numbers.... Or I "just happen" to run across them somehow without thinking at all they came from him/me.  Maybe there's something along those lines....
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Jmenz, throw me a bone?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:44:35 AM
You'd just waste it on coconut water and fitness gadgets.  ::)

I have other former selves who are much more reliable, and I send such information to them instead.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:52:32 AM
But you can have a consolation prize...

Duly thrown, of course.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:00:14 AM
You'd just waste it on coconut water and fitness gadgets.  ::)

I have other former selves who are much more reliable, and I send such information to them instead.

That's true, but you'd benefit from that too.  *Bob considers poking himself to jab at jmenz.*

So... You've either already sent info or I'll get it sometime in the future... I see.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:29 AM
  *Bob considers poking himself to jab at jmenz.*

It doesn't work that way, so poke away.

So... You've either already sent info or I'll get it sometime in the future... I see.

Already sent, but you won't get it at all.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 03:12:10 AM
We'll see about that... *Bob stabs himself with a pencil.*  How'd you like that?  Haha!

You may have screwed up the whole timeline then.  *Bob's glad he wasn't the one who did this.*  Or not... If I didn't get it.  Maybe I won't even bother to send it at all then.  Not much point if I don't get it anyway.  Of course you're response here will change, but that won't affect much anyway.

I'll just quote it down here.  We'll see what changes...

It doesn't work that way, so poke away.

I didn't send anything.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:31 AM
We'll see about that... *Bob stabs himself with a pencil.*  How'd you like that?  Haha!

As I said, no impact. You could post a video, though - it has the potential to be amusing.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:33:52 AM
I think it's bedtime for Bob...

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:22:11 PM
There was an American, an Australian and a Piano Forum.

Damn; I can't remember the rest of the joke. Probably just as well, really (especially if bones of contention might have been involved)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 12:20:16 AM
We all know there is Australia.  It's just a giant conspiracy, this mythical Austria-Land.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert