Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Percentages of international students in art vs. science  (Read 973 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
I was just wondering....

Would there be more international students attending colleges and universities who are in the science rather than the arts because their family is in that subject area and made money from it?  ie Science jobs make more than arts jobs.  More people with a science background can afford to send their kids abroad.

Although I suppose business might trump science... I don't think a whole lot of foreign countries are flocking to the U.S. for business education/innovation though.

And there would be rich parents who send their music kid to the U.S. to study.  There would always be some rich people sending their kid abroad to study any topic.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Re: Percentages of international students in art vs. science
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 03:06:15 AM
Studying science abroad. My parents aren't rich though.

theholygideons

Re: Percentages of international students in art vs. science
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:39:37 AM
I was just wondering....

Would there be more international students attending colleges and universities who are in the science rather than the arts because their family is in that subject area and made money from it?  ie Science jobs make more than arts jobs.  More people with a science background can afford to send their kids abroad.

Although I suppose business might trump science... I don't think a whole lot of foreign countries are flocking to the U.S. for business education/innovation though.

And there would be rich parents who send their music kid to the U.S. to study.  There would always be some rich people sending their kid abroad to study any topic.
tbh a lot of internationals over here in Australia do commerce, e.g. accounting/finance. Very few in my opinion do science, especially chemistry or biology, since the amount of material to be memorized is all in complex english vocabulary.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert