Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Asian Pianists  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Alde

Asian Pianists
on: December 03, 2004, 05:07:40 AM
Apart from Uchida, Fou T'song, Licad, Lang Lang and Yundi Li, does anybody know of any other prominent asian concert pianists? 

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Asian Pianists
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 05:34:02 AM
why? why does ethnicity matter may i ask?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:58:57 PM
Noriko Ogawa
Helen Huang
Hiroko Nakamura
Mei Ting Sun
Frederic Chiu
Jon Kimura Parker
Dang Thai Son
Melvyn Tan
Lucille Chung
Beatrice Long
Riko Fukuda
Yoshiko Kojima
Martha Argerich

I am sure there are many more.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 01:08:11 PM
Noriko Ogawa
Helen Huang
Hiroko Nakamura
Mei Ting Sun
Frederic Chiu
Jon Kimura Parker
Dang Thai Son
Melvyn Tan
Lucille Chung
Beatrice Long
Riko Fukuda
Yoshiko Kojima
Martha Argerich

I am sure there are many more.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

What about halfies? ;D

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:16:01 PM

What about halfies? ;D

koji (STSD)

I was not sure about how you regarded yourself. That's the only reason you are not up there. ;)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:22:35 PM

I was not sure about how you regarded yourself. That's the only reason you are not up there. ;)

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what I am myself.  There's a couple other halfie pianists out there (Elisabeth "Jeanne" Schumann being one).

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 01:34:11 PM

What about halfies? ;D

koji (STSD)

Well, performers like Jon Kimura Parker can certainly be considered "halfies". But what do we consider Martha Argerich to be? Are you perhaps buying into the Argerich/Uchida urban legend?  ;D ;D

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 01:38:55 PM

But what do we consider Martha Argerich to be? Are you perhaps buying into the Argerich/Uchida urban legend?  ;D ;D

Totally  ;D ;D ;D

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 03:49:18 PM
My favourites:

Yundi Li and Frederic Chiu.

Frederic Chiu's website:

https://harmoniamundi.com/featured_artist.asp?Artist=41

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 07:53:12 PM
Argerich is South American isn't she? Argentinan i think.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 08:09:32 PM
My favourites:

and Frederic Chiu.

Definitely not my favorite. Does it mean I am also Lang Lang fan?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 09:35:54 PM
Argerich is South American isn't she? Argentinan i think.

Haven’t you heard? Argerich and Uchida are the same person. ;D

From https://www.esatclear.ie/~shoegirl/2003_10_01_barchive.html

With regard to a former Gramophone lifetime achievement winner, Martha Argerich, I found this bizarre website. The Martha Argerich Conspiracy.
I thought this was remarkably interesting. The writer has a hypothesis that Martha Argerich and Mitsuko Uchida are indeed the one person, Martha "undergoes artistic transformation to perform in the inimitable Uchida style on appropriate occasions." Rather strange. Somehow I'm not convinced. I find Uchida's style far too cold and clear to compare to Martha's wild romantic spirit. He also has an interesting gallery of Martha photos (in case you are not already "Martha-ed out." Good site.

(unfortunately the link within the text above which had a lot of hard evidence has now disappeared. I suspect a cover-up ;))

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline Alde

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 01:18:04 AM

In recent years, as you probably already know, there has been a huge surge of asian pianists in the concert scene.  But there is really know asian school of piano playing.  Most asians have wonderful piano technique, but the playing is not very moving.  Most of the musical expression I find is heavily influenced by their teachers.  I wonder if any of them will ever have a huge influence in the history of piano playing.
When you watch the great pianists videos, most are white European males.
What do you think?

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 01:26:01 AM

Definitely not my favorite. Does it mean I am also Lang Lang fan?
O brave soul, thou shall fear the wrath of Tibidi.

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 01:29:30 AM
  But there is really know asian school of piano playing. 
Haha lol....juilliard from what I have heard. Oh boy I hope i get into that school.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2004, 01:35:37 AM

In recent years, as you probably already know, there has been a huge surge of asian pianists in the concert scene.  But there is really know asian school of piano playing.  Most asians have wonderful piano technique, but the playing is not very moving.  Most of the musical expression I find is heavily influenced by their teachers.  I wonder if any of them will ever have a huge influence in the history of piano playing.
What do you think?

I think that's a rather ridiculous assertion you're trying to make (regarding "the playing is not very moving").  Horowitz said the same thing...until he actually HEARD some of them (and coached them).

koji (STSD)

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2004, 03:31:09 AM

O brave soul, thou shall fear the wrath of Tibidi.

Ani vay to delit bifo hi siz'zat?

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 03:46:24 AM

I wonder if any of them will ever have a huge influence in the history of piano playing.
What do you think?

I think nothing can be taken out of historical or social context. Personally, I agree that it has nothing to do with ethnicity.

BTW, for some strange, unexplainable, ironic reason, some of greatests females did not get on Great Pianists series. On the other hand, it doesn't reduce their influence and importance in piano performance history.   

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2004, 08:39:28 AM

Ani vay to delit bifo hi siz'zat?
no chance. da great eye of tibidi sees all.

Offline Aspiring Romantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 12:54:31 AM

What do you think?

What do I think?  If you heard of lang lang's or ESPECIALLY Yundi Li playing, then you'd probably regret every word out of that xenophobic mouth of yours.

Offline Nu-Steinway-Player

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 07:53:02 AM
To the person who gave us the nice list at the second post of this thread -- Martha Argerich is most certainly not Asian.  She is from Buenos Aries.  I am new to this board and was excited by the level of knowledge of the board's participants.  This little blunder was a bit disappointing, especially since no one corrected that person.  Martha Argerich is one of the greatest pianists, period.  Whoever posted that -- Shame on you for that misinformation!!!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 08:35:47 AM
To the person who gave us the nice list at the second post of this thread -- Martha Argerich is most certainly not Asian.  She is from Buenos Aries.  I am new to this board and was excited by the level of knowledge of the board's participants.  This little blunder was a bit disappointing, especially since no one corrected that person.  Martha Argerich is one of the greatest pianists, period.  Whoever posted that -- Shame on you for that misinformation!!!

Er… have you read the whole thread? Try replies #6, #7, #9 and especially #11. ;D

Lighten up! ;)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Offline theodopolis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 22, 2005, 01:20:53 PM

This is always going to be a touchy subject and many will see it as an opportunity for racist attacks.

I prefer to see it in another light.

Why should we not see it as another school?
No-one takes offence when one refers to Askenazy as a Russian pianist, let alone Rubinstein and Horowitz and the differences between Polish pianism and the Russian School.
Does no-one believe Cziffra's Hungarian gypsy heritage had an influence on his interpretations of Liszt?
Does anyone implicate Claudio Arrau when his support for the new generation of pianists was limited to Argerich and Barenboim: A Chilean supporting two Argentinians.

It is a sad truth that during much of the last century, to the West, Asians were considered alien. Unfortunately, some residue of this mindset remains in Europe and the Americas.
Even 20 years ago, the extent of Asian pianism was limited to 'Chinese Chopsticks" and playing pentatonic intervals.

But times are changing. Slowly but steadily, things are turning around.

Thanks
Theodopolis

P.S - From one living in Australia: Isn't it a far greater travesty that this continent has only one internationally recognised pianist, and that is David Helfgott?
Does anyone else here think the opening of Liszt's 'Orage' (AdP - Suisse No.5) sounds like the Gymnopedie from Hell?

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 22, 2005, 03:31:48 PM
we also have Lane, Tozer, Woodward, Lancaster, Howard  ;)

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005, 04:13:57 PM
we also have Lane, Tozer, Woodward, Lancaster, Howard  ;)

And Noel Mewton-Wood.

koji (STSD)

Offline SteinwayTony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005, 06:15:30 PM

Er… have you read the whole thread? Try replies #6, #7, #9 and especially #11. ;D

Lighten up! ;)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

The same goofball was ragging on Godowsky in another thread...

>:(

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 23, 2005, 12:02:07 AM

And Noel Mewton-Wood.

koji (STSD)

quite right, i was just talking about living pianists

Offline theodopolis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: January 23, 2005, 01:54:56 AM
I know you're right, but really the only one that is a household name, in my experience, is Roger Woodward.

Of course, we'll always have Percy Grainger.
Does anyone else here think the opening of Liszt's 'Orage' (AdP - Suisse No.5) sounds like the Gymnopedie from Hell?

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 02:08:57 AM
You're forgetting michael kieran harvey, too.
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: January 23, 2005, 03:17:27 AM
I know you're right, but really the only one that is a household name, in my experience, is Roger Woodward.

Of course, we'll always have Percy Grainger.

Don't know if you want to "claiim" Percy so readily, heh.

koji (STSD)

Offline Nu-Steinway-Player

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2005, 04:47:46 AM
I missed the one-liner mentioning Argerich was from South America.  Sorry my scanning of these threads at 2:00 in the morning was not as thorough as should have been.

Offline dmk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: January 23, 2005, 07:17:09 AM

Don't know if you want to "claiim" Percy so readily, heh.

koji (STSD)

You read American texts and they claim Percy...you read Australian texts and they claim Percy....He is still a wanted man after all these years!!!

As for Australian pianist's who are household names there are very few indeed....I think Roger Woodward is a household name only because he was mentioned in Shine!!!!  (Theodopolis, I agree with you that the Helfgott thing is a bit of travesty especially when we have so many fine Australian pianists).

You're forgetting michael kieran harvey, too.

Could not agree with you more, Michael-Kiernan Harvery (IMO) should be a household name, I have seen him play both of the Carl Vine Piano Sonatas, absolutely mind-blowing!!!!  I still think about these performances, they were truly phenomenal.  Oh...and the recordings are also excellent.

Miriam Hyde was also a fantastic pianist, particularly playing her own works, I saw her playing her piano concerto, beautiful playing (she was 90 at the time I think).  She very sadly died on the 11th of Jan, nearly 2 weeks ago, a great loss  :'(
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
Robert Fripp

Offline brewtality

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2005, 08:31:43 AM

You read American texts and they claim Percy...you read Australian texts and they claim Percy....He is still a wanted man after all these years!!!

indeed but for other more morbid reasons

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: February 05, 2005, 12:11:35 AM
Miriam Hyde...

I'll happily admit that possibly THE stupidest thing i have ever done was pass up the opportunity to meet her in person, at a social gathering DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME.  My reason?  Well, that morning, as i was getting ready to go down there, my friend called and asked me out to the movies.  I didn't want to say no, because then he'd feel bad.

IDIOT.  Idiot, idiot, idiot. 
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline Cecin_Koot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: February 06, 2005, 05:57:59 AM
Apart from Uchida, Fou T'song, Licad, Lang Lang and Yundi Li, does anybody know of any other prominent asian concert pianists? 

um, just about every asian at my school
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert