Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: There's "whining" and then there's Whining.  (Read 11971 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: There's "whining" and then there's Whining.
Reply #200 on: December 04, 2014, 09:28:19 PM
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #201 on: December 05, 2014, 03:35:38 PM
Where this is true, I can see it.  And that, I do not reject but appreciate.  Thank you.
Well, I have certainly not intended to be - or indeed even to appear - rude in my own contributions to this thread; anything that I have written here that might be seen to call into question certain aspects of those contents of your posts that relate to you personally has been done out of concern for you, not in the spirit of open "criticism", still less for the purpose of trying to "teach" you anything (as I wrote, I am not a teacher in any case).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #202 on: December 05, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #203 on: December 06, 2014, 04:00:35 AM
*Bob wonders when Nils will close this thread.*
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #204 on: December 06, 2014, 07:56:50 AM
*Bob wonders when Nils will close this thread.*
Nils will do that if, as and when he sees fit; until and unless he does (if he does), there would appear to be little point in such wonderment.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline sashaco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #205 on: December 06, 2014, 12:24:19 PM
Goodness knows why I read through this thread, but one thing's for sure.  Some of you are "genuine philanthropists, all other kinds are sham."

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #206 on: December 07, 2014, 12:43:00 AM
m1469 has been having some sort of "crisis of conscience" I would say.

As we can see she's been deleting the vast treasure trove of her posts -- 6000 or them (and don't forget she has LOADS of them under her "other name"... "tee hee" to quote the girlish m1469 )

m1469 and I have been friends on this forum for several years, though she is ill-convinced of this at times.

Through various means, I've tried to get her to "see reality" so to speak, as have many, and I see her deletion of all these old posts -- and new -- as really healthy progress, and I am serious about this.

Coping with her REAL identity and protecting it is one of the few things I've seen from her which actually supports her desire to "find herself" as pleaded in her hundreds of thousands of words (albeit rambling and sometimes incoherent) but passionate, nevertheless.

Now, she seems to be in a genuine process of integrating herself, casting away the pretense and lack of personal responsibility she has shown on this forum.

I really believe her psychological age is catching up with her chronological age. (she's 38 now THREE YEARS OLDER THAN MOZART WAS WHEN HE DIED).

So she has a lot of growth and discovery to do on her journey  and I for one think she is up to the task -- m1469 the WOMAN!

So BRAVO MAYLA!!! :-* ::) :o ;D

PS

Sometimes, however, even grownups act impetuously, so several days ago realizing m1469 was deleting everything she'd ever posted on our forum, I archived her posts for her in the event she ever wishes to reference them. Not unlike Mozart, I think there is real value in some of what she has said!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #207 on: December 07, 2014, 01:28:59 AM
Deleted 20 pages of posts?  Ouch. That takes some work.  I did that a bit once.  It's too much work eventually.  m1469 would still have 110-something pages left if she went through all that.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #208 on: December 07, 2014, 03:28:52 AM
m1469's got her recent posts page 1-20 and 90-end (133 I think) cleared out.  That's a lot of work.  Dang.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #209 on: December 07, 2014, 06:06:01 AM
-
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #210 on: December 07, 2014, 06:14:52 AM
Yeah, it's disheartening and kinda scary to see her driven to erasing months of what she shared. PTs1 I'm not sure you get how drastic her response was and how that makes it really not ok for you to say it was good for her. And I don't know why you call yourself her 'true friend.'

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #211 on: December 07, 2014, 10:16:46 AM
What happens to m1469's posts is up to m1469 and no one else, as indeed should be the case. It's also up to her to decide for herself her reasons for deleting those that she chooses to delete. Clearly, Nils has had no issues with them in terms of their appropriateness for inclusion on the forum, otherwise he would presumably have taken action long ago.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #212 on: December 07, 2014, 10:49:38 AM
-
No amount of how-to information is going to work if you have the wrong mindset, the wrong guiding philosophies. Avoid losers like the plague, and gather with and learn from winners only.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #213 on: December 07, 2014, 11:39:25 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613032#msg613032 date=1417949378
m1469, it seems to me, wants to hug the world, but some part of the world doesn't want to be hugged and most certainly not hug her back.
That sums it up really well.  The rest of your post is sadly way beyond inflammatory.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #214 on: December 07, 2014, 11:49:49 AM
-

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #215 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:58 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613035#msg613035 date=1417952989
"Inflammatory" or simply too confronting?
Too gross.
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613035#msg613035 date=1417952989
P.S.: It's Sunday today. A good time for some genuine introspection for all parties involved.
Not if you're Buddhist, Hindu, Muslem, Jewish, 7th day thingamies, atheist, and a whole lot of others!
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #216 on: December 07, 2014, 12:10:52 PM
-

Offline sashaco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #217 on: December 07, 2014, 12:11:17 PM
Sorry, Hardy, are you arguing that it's NOT a good day for introspection?

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #218 on: December 07, 2014, 12:12:36 PM
I obviously need to get out more.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #219 on: December 07, 2014, 01:43:47 PM
m1469's got her recent posts page 1-20 and 90-end (133 I think) cleared out.  That's a lot of work.  Dang.

She's got 85-89 wiped out now.  

Downfall/breakdown of another member.  Something must be up if a person is putting that much work into removing their old posts.

That's over ten years of posts.  m1469 starts a few months after I did and that was back in spring/winter of 2004. 

I have seen some forums where your posts get locked after a couple hours.  Yours for a few hours, then the site has them.

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #220 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:14 PM
I wouldn't get too upset Bob, you'll still be able to read m1469 on google cache.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #221 on: December 07, 2014, 04:54:24 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613032#msg613032 date=1417949378
Agreed, but that doesn't address the real problem; the posts are only the symptoms. m1469, it seems to me, wants to hug the world, but some part of the world doesn't want to be hugged and most certainly not hug her back.

Nudity (or even perceived nudity) is not necessarily an invitation to rape. Rape is what happened in this topic repeatedly. I (and others too) have given more than one hint that this was supposed to stop, but obviously our tone (whoaa, what an unscientific word!) was too mellow and our intonation not understood.
I don't understand most of what you write here. As I said, the decision and reason for that decision as to what's to become of certain of m1469's posts is m1469's alone, as indeed it should be. It's not for me to guess what's going on in her mind right now or why it is so, but pehaps she has given or is giving some consideration to whether she might in the past have opened up about too much too often to people (i.e. forum members) who are effectively complete strangers. I don't actually see the problem in simply letting her make and effect her own decisions about this, for reasons of her own, without having to risk exposing herself to the possibility of unwarranted and unhelpful interference.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #222 on: December 07, 2014, 04:59:26 PM
-

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #223 on: December 07, 2014, 05:10:22 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613056#msg613056 date=1417971566
Let's just hope you are right. 10 years of posts is a lot, you know, and it seems to me that something not very good is up when somebody deletes that all manually. Personally, I'd ask the admin to do that in a couple of clicks, but who am I?
Not the right person to decide, that's who! If m1469 wants to delete all of her posts, then she could indeed ask Nils to do it and it wold almost certainly be easier for him to do it than for m1469 but, since the deletions are specific and governed by m1469's own choices in the matter, surely only m1469 herself could do it or indeed be expected to do it?

Best

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #224 on: December 07, 2014, 05:14:45 PM
-

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #225 on: December 07, 2014, 06:36:23 PM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613059#msg613059 date=1417972485
As I said, the issue may not be the posts themselves. I'm voicing concern about the well-being of a person and I'd urge those who know her personally through other resources than this one to check whether she's all right.
Fair comment. I'm concerned about that, too, but I don't think that it would necessarily be reasonable to assume that she isn't just because she's deleting sheaves of earlier posts.

I'll see what I can do to find out, however.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #226 on: December 07, 2014, 06:47:16 PM
-

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #227 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57:43 PM
but pehaps she has given or is giving some consideration to whether she might in the past have opened up about too much too often to people (i.e. forum members) who are effectively complete strangers.

Best,

Alistair
m1469 deleted, indiscriminately, every single one of her recent posts. She may regret opening up to this forum, but definitely not with the calculation or understanding of someone "finally learning their lesson," and probably not with her own well-being as the main thing in mind either. This action strikes me as a "*** you," "well if this is what I get I wish I didn't share anything at all, whatsoever"  -- an alarmingly emotional response.

Maybe I am reading into it too much, but throughout the entire exchange there was not the slightest smidgen of a hint that m1469 was beginning to see the side that was foisted on her. I don't think there's any way for a person to instantaneously go from "You guys don't understand me" to "I've been an idiot all along! I see your point now." 

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #228 on: December 07, 2014, 10:39:44 PM
Hello, yep, I'm fine.  

It's been pretty healthy, actually, for me to go back through these posts - I've never had the overall picture before.  Apparently, I did a bunch of my "growing up" as a musician on a public forum.  As it turns out, I see lots of "eras" in these years, and even if my questions were annoying for you folks, there has often been some pretty interesting stuff that has come out of you as a result of them being here :).

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #229 on: December 07, 2014, 10:40:08 PM
 1-20, 81-133 are deleted now.  She's slowed down a bit.

I don't think Google cache will keep anything for that long.  Maybe the way back machine for as much as that's worth.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #230 on: December 07, 2014, 10:40:51 PM
Hello, yep, I'm fine.  It's been pretty healthy, actually, for me to go back through these posts.  I guess I did a bunch of my "growing up" as a musician on a public forum.  As it turns out, I see lots of "eras" in these years, and even if my questions were annoying for you folks, there have often been some pretty interesting stuff that has come out of you as a result :).

Welcome back.

This is the only way I know of to capture posts.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #231 on: December 07, 2014, 10:45:11 PM
Say 6,000 posts...
If you spent just 1 second modifying each one (which is probably waaaay to quick)
That's 100 minutes.

So maybe, at the very least, that's two hours of continuous clicking, highlighting, and pasting.  But it doesn't go that fast.  It would depend on internet connection speed and the website itself.  That's going to take hours and hours.  After 4-5 hours I'd be questioning myself.

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #232 on: December 08, 2014, 07:24:39 AM
-

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #233 on: December 08, 2014, 09:11:04 AM
"There's "whining" and then there's Whining" - or so the thread topic might have us believe - and then there's crawling around the tiniest details of the utterly yawn-inducing sub-topic (if indeed it's even that) of the philosophy of post removal; isn't there something more interesting to discuss?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline dima_76557

• PS Silver Member
Reply #234 on: December 08, 2014, 10:46:40 AM
-

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #235 on: December 08, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
A spectacular exit, applause, an encore and an audience left wanting more.

Bravo!
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #236 on: December 08, 2014, 12:16:50 PM
A spectacular exit, applause, an encore and an audience left wanting more.

Bravo!
How about moving the thread to the Performance section.  It has nothing to do with teaching.  It eclipses both the efforts of teachers and of learners.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #237 on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:18 PM
Looks pretty clean to me.  1-23 and 77-133 cleared out now.  54 pages left.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #238 on: December 08, 2014, 12:57:43 PM
Looks pretty clean to me.  1-23 and 77-133 cleared out now.  54 pages left.
Are you actually monitoring the entire deletion procedure? If so, why? Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #239 on: December 08, 2014, 04:21:28 PM
Don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Bob? Have you not read his posts recently?

Offline pts1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #240 on: December 08, 2014, 04:47:24 PM
Hmmm.... I really don't see much difference between m1469's revised posts, and the originals.

She's just more concise.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #241 on: December 08, 2014, 04:47:57 PM
Bob? Have you not read his posts recently?
The question remains; I do not suggest that this is all that Bob's doing but when he does do it he must be taking up some of his valuable time.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #242 on: December 08, 2014, 05:38:54 PM
The question remains; I do not suggest that this is all that Bob's doing but when he does do it he must be taking up some of his valuable time.

Well I was suggesting that this isn't in any way a worse use of his time than the other things he has been engaged in lately, judging from his posts.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #243 on: December 08, 2014, 06:06:10 PM
Well I was suggesting that this isn't in any way a worse use of his time than the other things he has been engaged in lately, judging from his posts.
...and I'm not sure that I agree, but it's up to Bob himself, if so he wishes...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #244 on: December 08, 2014, 06:17:47 PM
Hmmm.... I really don't see much difference between m1469's revised posts, and the originals.

She's just more concise.

Perhaps then she would be willing to change tasks.

Rather than edit her own posts, which we've already read, perhaps she could take on Mr. N's posts, which do tend to be other than concise. 
Tim

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #245 on: December 08, 2014, 11:54:42 PM
Looks pretty clean to me.  1-23 and 77-133 cleared out now.  54 pages left.

Haha.  She's slacking off...
1-23, 77-133 deleted.
No change.

I'm curious how long it takes to delete 6,000+ posts.   

Although I suppose she could be clearing out other profiles instead of this one.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #246 on: December 09, 2014, 08:05:34 AM
Quote from: dima_76557link=topic=56624.msg613148#msg613148 date=1418035600
-
Are your repetitious responses generated via a macro and timer?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #247 on: December 09, 2014, 10:42:17 AM
Are your repetitious responses generated via a macro and timer?

Best,

Alistair
Obviously they are deletions.  Having read the originals, which made sense, the deletions may be understandable, but unfortunate.

I still think this thread has nothing to do with teaching, and shouldn't be here.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #248 on: December 09, 2014, 04:40:04 PM
Obviously they are deletions.  Having read the originals, which made sense, the deletions may be understandable, but unfortunate.
I didn't read them or even see them so was unaware of that.

I still think this thread has nothing to do with teaching, and shouldn't be here.
Likewise, I can see little reason for its not being moved; OK, issues related to teaching have made their appearances here but it's long since gotten well away from that kind of thing.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #249 on: December 10, 2014, 12:03:35 AM
Haha.  She's slacking off...
1-23, 77-133 deleted.
No change.

I'm curious how long it takes to delete 6,000+ posts.   

Although I suppose she could be clearing out other profiles instead of this one.

1-31, 68-133  clear.

And she's back for the evening shift. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert