Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: combining classical and jazz technique (example: Over the Rainbow)  (Read 2180 times)

Offline creationrage

I am a classically trained jazz pianist, and in this version of Over the Rainbow (including notes/changes), I used a lot of my classical training for technique and expression, and used my jazz training for rhythmic, re-harmonizational and improvisational alterations. I tried to make the subtitles as informative as possible without being overwhelmingly detailed, please check it out and tell me what you think!

Piano Lesson: Over the Rainbow - Improv, reharm, mystery, sadness, surprise (variations):

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Ok, I watched and listened.  How does this work as a lesson?  Do you want the student to understand how you got those chords, and then find their own similar chords?  (If it's teaching improvisation).  Do you want them to imitate you note for note and chord for chord by following the recording and pausing as they get each chord?  Is it for the student to study what you did?  How is this used in teaching?

Offline creationrage

That's what I'm trying to figure out. What would you use as the subtitles to reach the most students or be the most informative? I want people at different levels to be able to use this in their own way. More experienced people can follow the changes and imitate or elaborate, others can transcribe and understand what they transcribed, others can just get ideas for reharm, rhythm, etc...

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert