Piano Forum

“Piano Dreams” - Exploring the Chinese Piano Explosion
The motivations for learning the piano are diverse, ranging from personal enjoyment to cultural appreciation and professional aspirations. While some see it as a way to connect with cultural heritage, others pursue it as a path to fame and fortune. In the movie “Piano Dreams” director Gary Lennon documents the struggles and sacrifices of three wannabe piano stars in modern China. Read more >>

Topic: Clementi sonatinas point out the current level?  (Read 18237 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Clementi sonatinas point out the current level?
on: November 24, 2014, 03:10:49 PM
Hello,

My teacher has chosen for her students each Clementi piece. She chose for a peer the Op 36 no 1, to another Op 36 no 4, and for me Op 36 no 3.

It was for me funny that she didn't chose the same to everyone, but then I heard that the Sonatinas she chose for each one indicates the current piano level in which we are.

Is that true?, in case it is true, what should I consider during my learning and practice in Sonatina Op 36, no 3?

Offline rmbarbosa

Re: Clementi sonatinas point out the current level?
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:12:10 PM
Sonatina nr 1 is grade 3; nr 3 is grade 4; nr 4 is grade 5 and nr 5 is grade 6.
"Your" sonatina, nr 3, is easy but very beautiful and when performed with people assisting, people like it a lot and it seems more difficult than it is.
After playing it well, you may ask your teatcher to let you play nr. 5. Nr. 5 is amazing!
Best wishes.

Offline chopincat

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:54:16 PM
I played the first 3, and if I remember correctly they basically went in order of difficulty (1 being the least difficult). But in the grand scheme of things, the Clementi sonatinas aren't very difficult pieces and they're all pretty much around the same level, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy the 3rd one, I remember it being really fun!

Offline springly78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:10:25 AM

I started playing piano one year ago in October using the Suzuki method. I have both a Bachelors and Masters in Music Ed. but. I am a clarinet player not a pianist. My extent of piano was trying to get through those boring class piano classes and trying to pass the barriers (sp). I gave up on piano after that because it was not fun. That was 30 years ago.

Now back to the Suzuki I finished Book I in 2 months, and Book 2 took another 3 months give or take a few. My piano teacher moved and it took a few months to find another. I started in late August and I played what I had not finished in Book 2, played one Burgmuller ( the first one), and my assignment now is another Burgmuller and Clementi No. 4. The teacher who is younger than my daughter chose this one because he said it would be nice not to hear another that did not come from a Suzuki method.  I have tried it and feel that I can pretty much play the first page with a few days of 1-2 hr practice sessions.

I suppose as for as a pianist is concerned they spend the first year learning how to read and count.  The only thing that is somewhat troublesome to me is learning how to use all the fingers at the same time and also learning how to play different dynamics in each hand.  Since I am an adult I do think the teacher has a clear path for me to follow. I guess he figures that I am near my grazing days. I want to be treated like a young person who might enjoy a career in performance. Even though that would probably occur in my 70's I wish to follow that type of path.

I suppose there are not many adults that take and those that do just want to enjoy leisurely playing?
Oh. I have taught beginner band for 28 years. I do not think that should make a difference in the way my teacher treats me or teaches me should it?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert