Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Baldwin Grands  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Baldwin Grands
on: December 06, 2004, 05:25:02 AM
Hey Everyone, how do you like the sound of Baldwin grands? ones that are around say 5' 8" or 6 feet long. I've played on a couple and in terms of pianos of this size I think I like Baldwin tone the best.

I was told that Baldwin pianos went out of production. This isn't true, is it? Gibson acquired the company and they're still made in the USA as far as I can tell. www.baldwinpiano.com

Offline gkatele

• PS Silver Member
Re: Baldwin Grands
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:25:33 AM
From what I understand, Baldwin, although owned by Gibson, is still making pianos. There's a store in the Chicago area - Pickle Piano - that says that they've just become an Baldwin dealer. I've also heard that in an attempt to become "exclusive" again, Baldwin has jacked up their prices.

Hmm.

Now, for a bit of personal experience. I am the owner of a Baldwin Hamilton studion piano that I got back in 1976. I bought it because I LOVED the sound that came out of that instrument. Big, bold, and "look at me!"

However, I've been (more than a little) disappointed with the action of the piano. Even after not playing seriously for about 20 years, I can outrun this piano. Trills, repeated notes, etc are not up to snuff. That's why I'm looking for a replacement.

Best of luck.

George
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Groucho Marx

Offline sirpazhan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Baldwin Grands
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 11:32:50 PM
I've always had a hard time accepting Baldwin pianos,, for one,, the bass is way too strong,, -- nothing wrong with a strong bass, unless its so strong that it over-flows the treble keys -- and Im not much of a fan for a muffled tone,, I'm more of a 'rasp' tone, like a schimmel or steinway -- In my opinion, baldwins did not win my vote as a classical piano -- but then again, thats just my opinion. 

I just recently went to a baldwin auction,, for 7 nad 9' grands,, still too over-priced in my opinion..  asking 36 grand for a 02' 7 footer..

-as
\\\\\\\"I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven\\\\\\\"

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert