Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Nobuyuki Tsujii plays Rachmaninov 3  (Read 2363 times)

Offline ubon2010

• PS Silver Member
Nobuyuki Tsujii plays Rachmaninov 3
on: January 06, 2015, 11:23:06 PM
First, I will come right out and admit that I am a huge fan of Japanese pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii, who was born blind and therefore has never seen a piano nor a music score, and cannot see the keyboard.

I hope you can watch this footage of his performance of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3, performed in the U.K. in November with Vasily Petrenko and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
https://bit.ly/1ApUY1r
OR
https://bit.ly/13Ym1Vz

As many times as I have seen Nobu in concert, I am astounded by this performance.  It really does seem humanly impossible for someone who cannot see to play like that, and with such a sonority.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nobuyuki Tsujii plays Rachmaninov 3
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:43:01 AM
First, I will come right out and admit that I am a huge fan of Japanese pianist Nobuyuki Tsujii

Indeed. Every one of your posts has been to promote him. I hope you're on commission.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline wwalrus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 01:03:05 AM
There's a strong misconception that being blind makes it more difficult to play piano- this is simply not true. We know that other senses become stronger when you lose sight or hearing, and, in this case, if he trained from an early age, his spatial awareness could make it far easier to play piano then for us sighted people who rely on our vision to see where the keys are. Actually, in a sense, training to play piano WITH vision is arguably more difficult, aside from obvious hinderances like interpreting sheet music and communicating with others (conductors, orchestra, etc.).

Offline ubon2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 01:08:59 AM
Indeed. Every one of your posts has been to promote him. I hope you're on commission.
It's not the first time that I have received such a comment.  
No, I don't work for Nobuyuki Tsujii in any way.  I do voluntarily run a site for his international fans, because Nobu does not speak English and does not do social media.  I post about Nobu strictly as a fan because I wish him to get the recognition that he deserves.  
Why should you have a problem with that?

There's a strong misconception that being blind makes it more difficult to play piano- this is simply not true. We know that other senses become stronger when you lose sight or hearing, and, in this case, if he trained from an early age, his spatial awareness could make it far easier to play piano then for us sighted people who rely on our vision to see where the keys are. Actually, in a sense, training to play piano WITH vision is arguably more difficult, aside from obvious hinderances like interpreting sheet music and communicating with others (conductors, orchestra, etc.).
And I have also heard this comment before.   If there are other blind pianists who perform at this level, I salute them.

Offline bonesquirrel

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:29:17 AM
It's not the first time that I have received such a comment.  
No, I don't work for Nobuyuki Tsujii in any way.  I do voluntarily run a site for his international fans, because Nobu does not speak English and does not do social media.  I post about Nobu strictly as a fan because I wish him to get the recognition that he deserves.  
Why should you have a problem with that?

And I have also heard this comment before.   If there are other blind pianists who perform at this level, I salute them.

1 - I dont think anyone has a problem with that, but I don't beleive this forum is really the place to promote other pianists

2 - If there is any pianist that performs at this level you should salute them. You don't salute a pianist that is blind, an avoid ones that arnet blind.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert