Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: piano studio policies  (Read 1606 times)

Offline daidaipa

• PS Silver Member
piano studio policies
on: December 07, 2004, 12:00:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I am starting  a piano studio, I am wondering if anyone can share with me your studio policies. I am hoping to give a copy of this to the parents and the students at the first lesson.

Thanks.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Re: piano studio policies
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 07:49:12 PM
The following are the conditions I agreed to when I started with my teacher:

a) Tuition will be given by the Term of ten consecutive weekly lessons, each Term to commence in the week following the end of the previous term.

b) Fees for each Term are to be paid not later than the first lesson of that Term.

c) Holidays: Lessons will be suspended from 15 December till 15 January and any further period as to which the pupil gives at least 4 weeks' notice.

d) Lessons missed through the pupil's non-attendance will be charged for, unless the circumstances, in the teacher's opinion, warrant a special concession.  Lessons cancelled by the teacher will be carried forward.

e) Examinations and Competitions: The teacher will not enter the pupil for any examinations or competitions without the pupil's consent; but the teacher's opinion as to what examinations and competitions are suitable at each stage of the pupil's progress should be accepted by the pupil.

f) Notice to discontinue lessons must be given not later than the first lesson of any Term to take effect at the end of that Term; otherwise the fees for a further Term will become payable.

Even though this is what is written, in reality this may not necessarily happen - for example:

a) I often have more than one one-hour lesson a week; especially polishing up for a big performance sometimes it ends up being a lesson every day.

c) The holiday period is usually a week shorter than the 4 weeks indicated there.

e) The teacher actually never enters any student into any examination or competition - we all enter ourselves, with her blessing, of course (and sometimes without).  It is our own responsibility to read any syllabus and find out the requirements and criteria for the exams and competitions.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert