Piano Forum logo
November 17, 2017, 05:36:57 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Busoni – 25 original pieces and 15 Bach transcriptions

The Italian pianist Busoni’s important achievements as a composer were long over-shadowed by the fact that he was generally thought the greatest piano virtuoso after Liszt. The solo piano versions of Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (for organ) and the Chaconne from the second Violin Partita are among his most well-known transcriptions. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compound to simple time signatures  (Read 1049 times)
eel05
PS Silver Member

« on: February 10, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »

Hello, I've come across this question and I'm a little puzzled about the last bar. The question was to change the time from compound to simple time without changing the rhythm. I'm a bit stumped as to why the minims haven't changed to crochets and why the crotchets didn't change to minims!!

Any words of wisdom on this would be greatly appreciated!!

* image.jpg (65.11 KB, 1136x640 - viewed 25 times.)

* image.jpg (65.11 KB, 1136x640 - viewed 22 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
j_menz
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 11:23:25 PM »

To convert a/b time to c/d time you take each note (x) and the new note (y) is :

y = (c/a) * (b/d) * x

So in this case

y = 3/9 * 4/2 x
   = 1/3 * 2 * x
   = 2/3x

So, a dotted mimim changes to a minim.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: