Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Concerto in C Major No. 21 Cadenza  (Read 14137 times)

Offline Jaydee

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Concerto in C Major No. 21 Cadenza
on: December 08, 2004, 09:34:01 AM
Hey guyss!

Change of plans, I'm performing the Mozart Concert in C Major No.21 Mvt 1.  I was wondering if anyone has the music for any cadenza's written for this movement?

Thanks so much!

Jaydee

Offline Alde

Re: Mozart Concerto in C Major No. 21 Cadenza
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 04:48:23 PM
Hello,
When I was doing my undergrad. I performed this concerto with orchestra.  There is a cadenza by Lili Krause, however I decided to write my own cadenza (Krause inspired version).  You must try it - scales, broken and alternate chords and alberti bass to get you started.  It was actually a lot of fun, not to mention that my professors were very impressed by my attempt.

good luck

Offline Jaydee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 01:54:31 AM
Ohhh okay, hey would I be able to get a copy of your written cadenza, so I can see what you've done?  I doubt I'll write my own cadenza tho!! but theres always a chance i might, if i have spare time.

Offline Alde

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 06:53:23 PM
Sorry, but I have lost my manuscript for the cadenza.  I performed this about 10 years ago, I did not have access to a notator program.
Basically, I started with the alberti bass theme, played some scales, then chromatic scales to modulate, some alternate broken chords, arpeggios and that was about it.  The cadenza doesn't have to be long.  It's all up to you - a couple of measures should be fine.  I know you probably get a little intimidated from all the cd recordings, and you feel that a cadenza has to be virtuosic and complement the entire concerto.
Give it a try.  300 years ago, all the performers were making up their own cadenzas.  Actually they would improvise this.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 08:34:01 PM
best cadenza for this concert: radu lupu. other great ones: lipatti, fischer.

(and no, of course i don't have scores :), i've only heard them played - sorry)

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:31:11 AM
Does anyone have a cadenza for this?  It one of the competition concerti this year at IU and a friend of mine is looking for one, but they are all checked out of the music library.  Let me know if you can help!

Thanks,
Michael

Offline joe wallace

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:00:03 PM
This version has the cadenzas and the eingänge.

Offline argerichfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:10:32 PM
The old Giles recording of the K467 had a really cool 1st mov't cadenza.  Does anyone recall who wrote that?

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 06:42:05 PM
The most often played for this concerto, is the Robert Casadesus, which I believe you can buy from Schirmer.  He wrote cadenza for first and third movements.  They are very Classical in style, though the piano technique leans towards the Beethoven end of things.  They fit wonderfully with the concerto.

Walter Ramsey

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert