Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Tablets  (Read 1780 times)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Tablets
on: March 13, 2015, 09:58:20 AM
I thought maybe I should buy a tablet, since I don't have my own smart phone (I use my work phone) and I have no need to really get one since I never call anyone these days.

I'd mostly use it for surfing, but I'd also want to try it for sight reading. If possible I'd want an app that doesn't require lines changes, because such moves make my vision blur, I'd need the staffs to just flow continuously and some way to control the speed while playing. Does this even exist?

So any recommendations for a device that works well with piano studies and has a good variety of sight reading apps available? And also a good selection of connections. And a long lasting battery would be nice as well. And a decent sound and video quality...am I asking too much?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tablets
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 10:04:02 AM
look at a Microsoft surface pro I think the flexibility and power Of a laptop w tablet type functionality and processing power along w widows os to allow multiple mm apps and programs to run wild be pretty sweet. I def want one and will probably upgrade to his as my next tablet purchase.
Ie
https://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-surface-pro-3/

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:35:15 AM
Not sure I want a Windows tablet...

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 07:21:04 AM
If anything you could start boycotting Apple for being horrid to their workers..? Maybe?
Personally I prefer microsoft/windows over Apple 100%.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 08:17:08 AM
I'm used to using Windows for PC but Apple for music devices. For tablets there are other options besides MS or Apple, and I'm not that familiar with those.

I think I prefer a bit more pragmatic approach to this matter, so at this point I am only concerned about which device works best for me. If I start boycotting every company that directly or indirectly exploits workers around the work, I think I'll have to start producing my own food, making my own clothes and building my own devices ;)

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:00:36 AM
I'm used to using Windows for PC but Apple for music devices. For tablets there are other options besides MS or Apple, and I'm not that familiar with those.

I think I prefer a bit more pragmatic approach to this matter, so at this point I am only concerned about which device works best for me. If I start boycotting every company that directly or indirectly exploits workers around the work, I think I'll have to start producing my own food, making my own clothes and building my own devices ;)

Please also remember to boycott everything that is bad for the environment, for your health or out of political reasons. Then die. It's hard to be a human being. :P

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:40:16 PM
There's a difference between exploiting workers and doing what Apple does. There have been several suicides on Apple campuses due to awful working conditions resulting in depression and the like.
Funny, I'm typing this on a Mac....

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 04:25:01 AM
There have been several suicides on Apple campuses due to awful working conditions resulting in depression and the like.

You don't really think this is unique to Apple? There are even worse conditions, but some companies tend to be singled out.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 06:38:15 AM
No, of course not. But Apple, along with Nike, just so happens to be very able to increase pay and working conditions for their employees.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:09:38 PM
From what I've understood reading around, screen size is the most important factor for music sheet reading.  The app used is secondary in priority.  At least, that's the feeling I'm getting from various reviews.  You really have to consider if a 7", 8", 10", etc. screen size is sufficient for your eyes and application in reading.  In North America 9x12 is a common size for a page of piano music.  

This article is from 2012, but still give some idea of what one organization is using.
https://www.cnet.com/news/orchestra-swaps-sheet-music-for-the-galaxy-note-10-1/

Personally, I'm still waiting for an affordable 12" or larger e-paper device.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline carlhackman

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 12:52:34 PM
I have quite a lot of sheet music in pdf format and for now will be using my laptop sat behind my digital piano to begin learning.

I would eventually like to save up for a tablet but they are all way out of my reach at the moment.  I do think the idea of using using a device for reading sheet music is environmentally friendly as well as convenient as long as the device is reliable and has a decent battery.

I would be very interested to hear pluses and minuses from both sides.

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 01:05:05 PM
I work with computers all day (translator, writer ...) and I love my e-book reader and I also care about the environment and ALL THAT, but I still definitely prefer to print my note sheets out and always read the music from paper. Why? Because I need to scribble a lot when I work with a new piece. Fingering etcetera. Sometimes I tend to make recurring mistakes (no sh*t?) when I sight-read and then I have to circle some tricky notes and parts that need special attention. For example, yesterday evening I discovered that a note, which I have read as a G for weeks, in fact is an E flat ...  >:(  It is hidden in a jungle of other notes, that is why I had misread it. So, BIG black circle there, because now I must re-learn that bar.

So, I find it very difficult if I cannot use my pencil ... therefore I need real paper, that also can stand an eraser a couple of times.
My opinion.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert