Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Cracked finger "cure"  (Read 5794 times)

Offline Herve

• PS Silver Member
Cracked finger "cure"
on: December 10, 2004, 12:43:55 AM
If you are like me and during the winter have the skin on various parts of the finger cracking because of dryness and the excessive touching of piano keys, please try some stuff called "New Skin".  It's a liquid that smells amazingly like what airplane glue used to smell like.  (Maybe it still does, but I haven't smelled ariplane glue in 40 years).  There's another similar one by another name, too, but I can't remember its name and I haven't tried it, so I can't recommend it. 

I apply it to those remarkably painful little cracks that develop in my skin at and under the tips of my fingers (mostly 2nd) and on the skin near the "corners" of my thumb nails.  It takes about 10 minutes for each "coat" to dry and I unsually apply two coats. 

I can be back playing - pain-free -  the most demanding pieces in a remarkably short period of time, and I don't even know the stuff is there.  Compared to the nightmare of bandages, it's a dream come true.

I believe it was created as a bandage substitue - that's why it's at the drug store near the "band aids". 

Offline Alde

Re: Cracked finger "cure"
Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:47:24 AM
Thanks for the great advice.  My fingers really crack during the winter months.  I once saw a pianist use crazy glue.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Cracked finger "cure"
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:32:40 AM
Cool.  I'll have to check that stuff out. 

I've used super glue and plain old tape.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert