\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Hommage and Collaboration - Prosseda Plays Morricone

There are few names more synonymous with the sound of cinema than Ennio Morricone. The cultural titan was so prolific that nobody can say for certain how many film scores he actually wrote, but we have talked to a man who has played and recorded all of Morricone's compositions for solo piano. Read more >>

Cracked finger "cure" (Read 5582 times)

Offline Herve

• PS Silver Member
Cracked finger "cure"
« on: December 10, 2004, 12:43:55 AM »
If you are like me and during the winter have the skin on various parts of the finger cracking because of dryness and the excessive touching of piano keys, please try some stuff called "New Skin".  It's a liquid that smells amazingly like what airplane glue used to smell like.  (Maybe it still does, but I haven't smelled ariplane glue in 40 years).  There's another similar one by another name, too, but I can't remember its name and I haven't tried it, so I can't recommend it. 

I apply it to those remarkably painful little cracks that develop in my skin at and under the tips of my fingers (mostly 2nd) and on the skin near the "corners" of my thumb nails.  It takes about 10 minutes for each "coat" to dry and I unsually apply two coats. 

I can be back playing - pain-free -  the most demanding pieces in a remarkably short period of time, and I don't even know the stuff is there.  Compared to the nightmare of bandages, it's a dream come true.

I believe it was created as a bandage substitue - that's why it's at the drug store near the "band aids". 

Offline Alde

Re: Cracked finger "cure"
«Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:47:24 AM »
Thanks for the great advice.  My fingers really crack during the winter months.  I once saw a pianist use crazy glue.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Cracked finger "cure"
«Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:32:40 AM »
Cool.  I'll have to check that stuff out. 

I've used super glue and plain old tape.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Piano Street's Top Picks of 2021

We wish you a Happy New Year with a list of highly recommended reading from Piano Street. These are the 16 most read, discussed or shared articles of 2021. /The Piano Street Team Read more >>