Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How to get good audio recording?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
How to get good audio recording?
on: April 08, 2015, 04:07:26 PM
I want to try out recording at home. Does anyone recommend a good microphone or recording thing? I am not that experienced in recording, but I have made many lousy recordings using Audacity :(

Any suggestions for getting a clearer sound etc.?

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to get good audio recording?
Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:59:48 PM
Blue snowball mic with audacity works for me.

Offline cbreemer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:41:16 PM
Any of the modern portable Mp3/Wav (Editol, Tascam, Zoom, Olympus, ...) recorder will give very decent results (if not top results) with the built-in microphones. They are worth the outlay if you are serious about recording yourself.

Offline stevensk

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:47:22 PM

The positioning of the mics are crusial. Try different angles, locations and distances.
I use two Akg 535c whith good results, an cheep Edirol audiointerface and Cubase

Good luck!

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 09:06:17 PM
Dear cbreemer
    I have a old Zoom (Zoom 2) and the sound doesn't seem to good. Are Olympus and the newer version of Zoom's soundquality better?

(Also, I have Yamaha pockettrack but its sound is kind of bleed/sticky (maybe that's how I play, but it is far exaggerated.)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:10 AM
Agree with above, that many of the current portable audio recorders present a reasonable price point and entry into recording. 

Getting a good recording isn't based on how much you can spend on gear.  A lot as to do recording technique - mic positioning and stereo techniques in particular. 

Can you post excerpts of your recordings? 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline dogperson

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:42:27 AM
Just bought Roland recorder, link below.  At present, I am using the built-in -mics so I can playback my practice.  The link below shows full features. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R05

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:34:40 AM
I want to try out recording at home. Does anyone recommend a good microphone or recording thing? I am not that experienced in recording, but I have made many lousy recordings using Audacity :(

Any suggestions for getting a clearer sound etc.?

Hi Rubinsteinmad,

The Zoom H2 series is fine, in my opinion, for home recording, as long as one records wav files with it and uses a computer system to convert these to mp3.  There are some nice microphones for recording classical piano playing - and for less than $1000 - but a pre-amp will be needed, too, and a recorder that runs silently in the same space.  I don't think it makes sense to go that far unless one has professional ambitions.

Mvh,
Michael
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert