Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Forum Style  (Read 1905 times)

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Forum Style
on: May 05, 2015, 06:35:43 PM
Newbie question.

Why was gold and black  chosen  for the website design?  
I find it a bit hard on the eyes, especially the white on black.

8)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Forum Style
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 11:30:16 PM
There's a way to flip it around.

I think it may have been to imitate a piano's color.

I don't really mind it.  I like black backgrounds.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:03:30 AM
There is a rival web site that allows one to choose one's colour scheme preferences.  As soon as one logs in, for that particular user it knows to appear a certain way.  Maybe this website could do that as well?

Offline stoat_king

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:36:31 PM
Don't agree.
The reason most forums dont allow much user definition in the layout is quite simply because the users are so stupid.
Why don't we have user-defined fonts while we're at it?

Nothing looks better than white comic-sans text on a white background.

Such flexibility only serves to create a support burden with no benefit.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:49:48 PM
Don't agree.
The reason most forums dont allow much user definition in the layout is quite simply because the users are so stupid.
Why don't we have user-defined fonts while we're at it?

Nothing looks better than white comic-sans text on a white background.

Such flexibility only serves to create a support burden with no benefit.

One thing to consider is that Piano Street does it right on a per cent basis with the default settings.  This doesn't mean it is right for every user, but for most users reading lighter text on a darker background is less eye strain than the other way around (for print though, which is reflected light, darker text on a lighter background works better).  Of course, this is only for most persons studied.  There are exceptions with some persons though . . . and also with some hardware.  On a Mac this website is far brighter than with a Windows system, which could cause an issue with the high contrast than with a Windows system.  But don't professional websites detect browsers, O.S., et c., and adjust accordingly?  I think that for a professional website it is good to try to accommodate as many users as possible, and this is a website with areas of paid access and presumably also professional staff with that level of expertise.

I think there might be ways to hack one's own system so that certain schemes appear no matter what the website . . . maybe this is something to look into as well.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:02:00 PM
I don't wish to upset the apple cart here, but I go on a forum that has black on a grey background, so much restful on the eyes.    
I don't understand why Stoat-King thinks that users are stupid.  I have been  using the internet for many years and know my way around very well and made my own websites, plus it's not often we encounter a forum that has white on black.  

Thanks for your understanding  Michael.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:29:40 PM
I don't wish to upset the apple cart here, but I go on a forum that has black on a grey background, so much restful on the eyes.    
I don't understand why Stoat-King thinks that users are stupid.  I have been  using the internet for many years and know my way around very well and made my own websites, plus it's not often we encounter a forum that has white on black.  

Thanks for your understanding  Michael.

Hi compline,

It was my pleasure!

How about a little bit different of a take on it like the one below . . .

There is nothing like a little competition for motivation: if Piano World can do individual colour scheme settings and make it work, then why can't Piano Street do individual colour scheme settings and make it work?  It works great at P.W. ;D

How am I doing so far?

I am just getting started. ;D

Mvh,
Michael

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 10:49:46 PM
*Bob actually likes comic sans....*

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:39:13 PM
You can do comic sans if you like.

Or you can do something sensible.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 12:42:27 AM
You can do comic sans if you like.

Or you can do something sensible.

*Bob conforms to The Man.*

Offline stoat_king

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:39:29 AM
I don't understand why Stoat-King thinks that users are stupid.  

Apologies for my outburst- I didn't mean to imply anyone here is stupid. I meant that giving users control over design doesn't often end well. in my experience.
No offence intended.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:41:19 AM
I didn't mean to imply anyone here is stupid.

You're way too kind, I fear.  ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 12:43:45 PM
Apologies for my outburst- I didn't mean to imply anyone here is stupid. I meant that giving users control over design doesn't often end well. in my experience.
No offence intended.

Ha!  noooooooo  stoat-king,  :)  I didn't mean that users should have the over all say in the forum design, it is perfectly good as it is, I was just meaning the colour scheme, black and white.  
Here's a for instance of users have a choice of colour style.  I am a member of the Beethoven Reference Site,  please allow me to add the web address.  If you look at the bottom of the page on the  left there is a little drop down bar  are two options  for members to chose their preferred  style.   Most forums have  and option.     Hope I haven't stirred the pot too much.  :P
https://www.gyrix.com/forums/index.php?s=91c8b5a95ae59c6d4a2f9d79a3563723&styleid=4

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 01:53:56 AM

So bright....

I wouldn't actually mind darker.  I see a difference in the black or whatever on the edge, middle, and post parts.  Why not all black?

The tan/yellow... I could go for a change.  Maybe it's gold?  Black background with red or blue looks good I'd say. 

I vaguely remember Nils saying what the colors meant in some thread. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert