Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Sub Board for Recommended Repertiore  (Read 2247 times)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Sub Board for Recommended Repertiore
on: May 08, 2015, 06:01:45 AM
I'd like to suggest that a new sub-board be created under Repertoire for recommended lesser known works.

Currently there is no really suitable place for them where they can be given due consideration. They either get appended to any "what should I play" post, or, if they are created as a separate thread on the main Repertoire board either clutter up the place or get lost amongst the "rank the Chopin whatevers" threads.

I'm all for the promotion of works so people can expand their repertoires beyond the same old pianists top 50, and it would be a useful resource. Particularly so if it makes perusing for pieces easier, and makes them more easily searchable. Currently, most of them are impossible to find again.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline michael_sayers

Re: Sub Board for Recommended Repertiore
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 07:03:23 AM
I'd like to suggest that a new sub-board be created under Repertoire for recommended lesser known works.

Currently there is no really suitable place for them where they can be given due consideration. They either get appended to any "what should I play" post, or, if they are created as a separate thread on the main Repertoire board either clutter up the place or get lost amongst the "rank the Chopin whatevers" threads.

I'm all for the promotion of works so people can expand their repertoires beyond the same old pianists top 50, and it would be a useful resource. Particularly so if it makes perusing for pieces easier, and makes them more easily searchable. Currently, most of them are impossible to find again.

Hi j_menz,

Why not just use the Piano Street search feature?

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?action=search

Mvh,
Michael

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:42:54 AM

Why not just use the Piano Street search feature?

Because then you have to know what you're looking for, and it has to be clearly labelled. Neither are always the case.

It's nice to just browse.

Many pianists are often looking for a new piece, but aren't necessarily doing so at the time the recommendation comes up so may not bother with it then, or may listen, make a mental note and then lose it.  There are a lot of good recommendations made,  ut sadly most of them just get lost in the mists of time.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:28:02 AM
Because then you have to know what you're looking for, and it has to be clearly labelled. Neither are always the case.

It's nice to just browse.

Many pianists are often looking for a new piece, but aren't necessarily doing so at the time the recommendation comes up so may not bother with it then, or may listen, make a mental note and then lose it.  There are a lot of good recommendations made,  ut sadly most of them just get lost in the mists of time.

Hi j_menz,

You do have a point there.  I've tried looking for "new" things at I.M.S.L.P. but it can need a lot of searching to find something that really stands out.  And that is only for public domain music, everything from 1923 (or 1924 now?) forward isn't there with a few exceptions.

Even if I know what I am looking for (say, every piano piece composed by Liszt after 1879) there isn't any efficient way to sort those out from the remainder.

There isn't even a thematic index of the music.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 03:34:16 PM
Hi j_menz,

I have given this some thought, and maybe there is a particular issue with this sub-board.  For instance, say a pianist wants to know what other persons here think about Henselt's whatever or Thalberg's this or that - then the pianist needs to post in the main repertoire board to get responses, yes?  Probably not many people will see threads at the sub-board if it is only for browsing around.

And what criteria do we use to decide if a composition is well known or not well known?

I am thinking that to force all discussions of particular and not yet specified repertoire into a sub-board might achieve the opposite purpose, which is that there will be few discussions of the music, and little diffusion to pianists.

What do you think?

I am serious here.  I think it is important to look at, and also to share, possibly high quality music whether it is well known or not.  But maybe this sub-board would ironically work against that in terms of the actual outcome?

Mvh,
Michael

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 01:39:31 AM
A sub-board is just like any other, and allows for discussion.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 02:18:22 AM
Yes. A sub-board dedicated to my dear Liadov, and Medtner.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:10 AM
Yes. A sub-board dedicated to my dear Liadov, and Medtner.

Hi mjames,

I think that in addition to what you suggest here, we need at least one sub-board just for Alexander Tcherepnin.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 05:38:55 PM
Perhaps it might be wise to have one for Michael Sayers.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 06:03:35 PM
Perhaps it might be wise to have one for Michael Sayers.

Thal

Hi Thal,

Unfortunately most of my music hasn't been good enough to justify such an honour.  This year's music, though, is a lot more labour and emotionally intensive and with some quite long works, and it is my understanding than one of these will be performed at Carnegie Hall next year [no joke].  In which instance, and if I can keep up this level quality from this year forward, then maybe a M.J.S. board would be justified.

But then why not boards for the other composers, too?  There would be no need then to look at every Henselt piano composition to find the strong ones, one could just go to the Henselt board here and maybe the suggestions of other pianists would be enough.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 06:07:00 PM
p.s. for Thal - And I wasn't joking in the other thread about checking up on Alistair.  I had a friend here who a few years ago "disappeared".  There had been a stroke and he was found lying on his floor immobile.  Lesson learned there, I think.  If a friend my age or older suddenly goes off the radar, it is good to check on things.

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:06:24 AM
I wholeheartedly concur with the JMan idea. By the way Michael's music is actually quite good, I was stalking his profile the other day and needless to say I was impressed, just throwing that out in case the message above was more sarcastic that heartfelt.

P.S: I could really use some tips for composing so if anyone has some tips and whatnot please do forward em to me.

ta-ta
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 08:07:50 AM
I wholeheartedly concur with the JMan idea. By the way Michael's music is actually quite good, I was stalking his profile the other day and needless to say I was impressed, just throwing that out in case the message above was more sarcastic that heartfelt.

P.S: I could really use some tips for composing so if anyone has some tips and whatnot please do forward em to me.

ta-ta

Hi senanserat,

Thanks for the compliment!

I'll be back, and hopefully soon, with some "tips" for composing.  These are just descriptions of my methods.  Confidence is at the core of it - if it sounds good in your mind, then it is good (to you at least), and go with it not worrying about what others think on it.  It needs total 100% confidence, and never any editing or alteration due to concern about what others may think of the music.  This has to be 100% absolute, with no compromise whatsoever.

More later, and hopefully soon . . . I am up against a bit of a deadline right now, and am off to have a nap before properly rethinking a big section of music.  This years music consists of quite long compositions, and ones that are more challenging in concept and construction . . . and are not improvisatory as with Södermalm Fantasy Ballade and much else that is online.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline senanserat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 11:05:17 PM
Hi senanserat,

Thanks for the compliment!

I'll be back, and hopefully soon, with some "tips" for composing.  These are just descriptions of my methods.  Confidence is at the core of it - if it sounds good in your mind, then it is good (to you at least), and go with it not worrying about what others think on it.  It needs total 100% confidence, and never any editing or alteration due to concern about what others may think of the music.  This has to be 100% absolute, with no compromise whatsoever.

More later, and hopefully soon . . . I am up against a bit of a deadline right now, and am off to have a nap before properly rethinking a big section of music.  This years music consists of quite long compositions, and ones that are more challenging in concept and construction . . . and are not improvisatory as with Södermalm Fantasy Ballade and much else that is online.

Mvh,
Michael

Sadly in my case I'm such a beginner that I am having quite a lot of trouble to put thought and ideas into sound and ink. I struggle to develop a motif properly and so on, the only two solid compositions I did are for a project I'm working at and they are like 2mins together.

Thanks for the tip 'bout conviction I'll keep it in mind.
"The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears, the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 03:43:45 AM
*watches as thread is derailed into composing*
In any case, this is a good idea. Lesser known works are often many times better than those that time made and kept famous, and deserve to be recognized as such.
+1 to this.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert