Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: varying the timbre of a grand piano  (Read 1387 times)

Offline michael_sayers

varying the timbre of a grand piano
on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

This video which just came to my attention is one of the best demonstrations I've seen of a pianist being able to vary the timbre of a grand piano - and, of course, a Steinway grand is used.  The video identifies the piano as a "Steinway D" even though it is a D-274, which is a misidentification of the instrument.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: varying the timbre of a grand piano
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:17:36 AM
Interesting.  I know muslim scientists who swear we are all surrounded by jinns 24/7.  We just can't see them.   Presumably this is in this category?  as are its believers? 
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:56:54 AM
Interesting.  I know muslim scientists who swear we are all surrounded by jinns 24/7.  We just can't see them.   Presumably this is in this category?  as are its believers? 

Hi hardy_practice,

Why do you think there is something mysterious about the subject of the video?

Mvh,
Michael

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:59:02 PM

Why do you think there is something mysterious about the subject of the video?
mysterious?!  Bogus was closer to my meaning.
B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:01:57 PM
mysterious?!  Bogus was closer to my meaning.

Hi hardy_practice,

Having here both a pre-Soviet Petrof grand piano and a Roland F-110, I can confirm that it is possible to vary the timbre on the Petrof, whereas with the Roland only one timbre is possible even with variance of one's touch.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline tombikadam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:12:01 PM
you can't change the sound or timbre of the piano, there is one hammer, you can only alter the sound by executing gradual speed to the key or voicing the hammers to a certain degree

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:16:42 PM
you can't change the sound or timbre of the piano, there is one hammer, you can only alter the sound by executing gradual speed to the key or voicing the hammers to a certain degree

Hi Tombikadam,

The hammers, hammers shanks . . . and even the keys . . . don't move only on a plane, and all of this motion is transmitted to the strings.  This enables variation of tone quality.  It is about much more than the linear velocity of the hammers described on a plane.

Mvh,
Michael
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert