Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Piano tour in Germany; there and back again  (Read 2488 times)

Offline hermerik

Piano tour in Germany; there and back again
on: May 21, 2015, 07:18:55 PM
Recently I was in Germany -- the land of the great pianos!

I want to share my experiences. I own a Sauter Delta -- so I guess I am a little biased by that. However I was not sure if I bought the right instrument for me; I have very difficult to decide things and after-analysis if one of my so weak sides; so I went out to see what was out there...

I was in Köln and Dusseldorf and tried Bechstein, Bösendorfer, Steingraeber, Sauter and Steinway. All pianos were great -- but of course there are differences. Mostly a matter of taste I would say.

First a Bechstein 192cm from 2008 -- Lyrical sound. But this one had a little sleepy sound I think. Maybe I am wrong, but Bechstein could do better. Bass light and lyrical and altogether nice touch. I grew up on Bechstein from the 1920s. Well, if I would describe Bechstein I think the word is lyrical. Tried also a brand new one; not very much more interesting in character. However -- high end instruments.

Then Steingraeber (B-192 almost new). Truly wonderful instrument, never tried a Steingraeber before. This was probaly my favourite. Quite warm sound. A little similar to Steinway  (especially in the bass). Somewhat metallic transition between bass-tenor strings (could be just a question of voicing) but other than that really very nice instrument. Altogether very nice to play and well balanced. 

A Sauter Delta (new). Also very nice, light action (much lighter than mine..) Treble more brilliant and also brighter than the Steingraeber I would say; but the bass is unbeatable! Midrange very good. Transition between the bass--midrange quite good but not perfect. Altogether rich sound.

Steinway A (almost brand new). The room in where it stood was very over-acoustic I think. Harsch tone, but control! This I think is Steinway -- you have control in whatever you play. I  guess it needs voicing. However; Steinway is Steinway.

Bösendorfer (214cm, almost new). Sound is rich and somewhat dark in tone. This I like. Wonderful instrument but over my budget in comparison to the performance. 

All instruments of this level are very high-end (and very expensive); there is something special about them. A special character. Now; when I returned home and played on my own Sauter Delta I was positively surprised... luckily (also for the economy). 

Anyhow, what are your experiences about these great brands? I am curious to hear. It is a wonderful djungle of pianos.

Offline whistlestop

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano tour in Germany; there and back again
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:22:56 PM
Thank you for posting your interesting findings. I am in the happy position of soon being able to have room for a grand piano, and was considering the Sauter Delta.
I bought a Sauter masterclass about 4 years ago and still love it but it's a bit bright for my home and I worry about disturbing neighbours. When I move house I would like a grand and was considering buying the same make but wonder if I have tunnel vision about this, and should try other brands. Everyone who has a Sauter seems to love it and you have returned to your own instrument with confirmation of your choice. This is reassuring; I'm not sure I can face trying dozens of pianos all over again!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:24:17 PM
neat write up. I like the Steingraebers too, but so far, even at the very top end of the market, nothing speaks to me, or is as sheer a joy to play than a Shigeru. I have yet to play or hear anything that beats it, and dollar for dollar, it is probably the best you can do given the leverage the company has with their revenues from the standard mass market side of their business. I think a Shigeru if put out by a EU boutique builder would easily come in at the similar pricepoint..

shame you were not able to try out a Forester.  If i went to Germany, this would be the First instrument i would seek out, have heard nothing from marvelous things about these kids

https://www.august-foerster.de/cms/en/12/Grand-Pianos

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:25:07 AM
Hi Hermerik,

I personally incline toward the American piano makers, in particular the N.Y. Steinway D line [and especially the ones from the 1930s to about 1968], the American made Baldwin grands [as back when they had the Baldwin, not the Renner, hammers], and also the old Mason & Hamlin grand pianos.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline hermerik

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:14:05 PM
Dear all,

I have indeed missed a lot other excellent brands. Recall; This was a two day tour in DE. I knew there are many other brands that are high-end. Although I do feel I am somewhat fixed to the german brands, this is just my personal taste. Well I guess it is lucky that we all have different tastes; the world would be such a monotonuous place otherwise. I just like to discuss these things.

Regarding Sauter (Delta); which I have myself. Yes, it was a bit of a passion and analysis of my own. Again, personal issues with decisions I guess... however, to replay to whistlestop; The Sauter I have is not that bright actually. And it respons very well to voicing.
It is so much money and one wants of course to maxmize the outcome. There are many other good brands out there but this Sauter is special; has a rich tone and character; developes wonderfully over time. It is a small company that decided to keep the high-quality -- wise decision I guess (in constract to some long gone swedish brands that wanted to compete with asian/east german brands, by lowering the quality and thereby got lost in the price/quality competition). Yes, one can (easily) fall in love with the Sauter-instruments..

A note on the search for perfection:
Nothing is perfect; but, as a friend said to me "it is in the inperfection that character can grow forth". If a piano (or person also!) would be "perfect" it would also turn uninteresting. Of course the making and so on should be perfect at this pricepoint; I mean rather more other things which are more on the characteristca of the instrument so to say..

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert