Piano Forum

Topic: Ervin Nyiregyhazi plays March of the Three Holy Kings from Liszt's Christus  (Read 1719 times)

Offline michael_sayers

Hi Everyone,

At YouTube there now is a slightly higher quality transfer of Ervin Nyiregyhazi's recording of March of the Three Holy Kings from Franz Liszt's Christus, as compared with the earlier YouTube upload.

Neither is on a par with hearing it directly from a high quality turntable and with a good sound system.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline michael_sayers

Hi Everyone,

For those interested, here is a direct minutes/seconds link to a recording of the orchestral version:

t=52m39s

In addition to Nyiregyhazi's piano solo version, there is a piano solo transcription by Franz Liszt of this music.  Liszt's transcription unfortunately is not at I.M.S.L.P.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Liszt's transcription unfortunately is not at I.M.S.L.P.

It is, actually. It's hiding at page 17 of this (direct link to pdf - page 68 as marked in the pdf)

Now, if only the Nyiregyhazi was obtainable.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline michael_sayers

It is, actually. It's hiding at page 17 of this (direct link to pdf - page 68 as marked in the pdf)

Now, if only the Nyiregyhazi was obtainable.

;D

My I.M.S.L.P. digging skills are horrible!

For the Nyiregyhazi version that was recorded, as there is a recording, one could just perform the music using some of his ideas, and with no need to have them notated.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline furiouzpianist

• PS Silver Member
Really, he was a colossal pianist, a real artist, and that always comes through in his playing.
If only some more 1930's broadcasts would surface...

Offline michael_sayers

Really, he was a colossal pianist, a real artist, and that always comes through in his playing.
If only some more 1930's broadcasts would surface...

Hi Furiouzpianist,

I agree, and not only that - I consider Ervin Nyiregyhazi to be the greatest pianist ever recorded, even above Josef Hofmann.  As things turned out, he preferred to compose rather than practice piano, and let his pianistic skills significantly decline late in his life, although he always could play with tremendous freedom of motion and range of sonority.

Mvh,
Michael
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert