Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 04:51:20 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Hidden Piano Treasure of Jean Sibelius

Strangely enough, it would be quite easy to attend piano recitals for years and never hear a note of Sibelius. Now Norwegian pianist Leif-Ove Andsnes makes an adventurous raid into Sibelius’ native Finland and want us to change that. It is not surprising that his playing is immaculately detailed and sympathetic Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passing Tones  (Read 982 times)
stillofthenight
PS Silver Member

« on: May 30, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »

My theory book talks about passing tones as melodic embellishments that introduce harmonic dissonances of 2,4, or 7. Say if you write a melody using the  C major scale (C, D, E) over a C major chord. Say now the D is part of the main melody and needs to be played. Theoretically D is considered a passing tone over the C chord( a melodic embellishment), but suppose it is to be part of the main melody. So how do I resolve this discrepancy? Is it a passing tone or not?

The definition of passing tones seems to imply that only intervals of either 1, 3, or 5 off of a bass note can be the main melody of a piece of music.

So for any piece of music, if one was to just strip away all the passing and neighbor tones...they would have the "main melody"?

Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
nystul
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »

Throw out this phrase "main melody" and replace with something like "underlying structure" and you will be getting closer to the right idea.  The point is that the D in this case isn't part of the harmony, not that it isn't important to the melody.
xdjuicebox
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:27:12 AM »

It could be a suspension/retardation (place the D on the strong beat and resolve it to a C or an E - it's called a suspension if it resolves down, retardation if it resolves up). If it's more modern music, sad to say, but traditional theory won't really explain modern music that well.

It may very well be a 9th chord - look at the rest of the chord, see what notes are being emphasized, etc.

My Sonata No. 1, Mov. 1 and 4 (2 and 3 are still being edited)

Kreisler-Rach Liebesleid
Rach 33-4
Scriabin 8-12

Don't practice much anymore because I need the time to compose Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: