Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: "Adding" to repertoire like the Scherzi  (Read 1734 times)

Offline diomedes

"Adding" to repertoire like the Scherzi
on: June 11, 2015, 04:35:25 PM
Curious as to the opinions circulating on something that inevitably causes sensitive issues:

Some performers add effects, for lack of a better word, to the Chopin scherzi and i think at times they are justified. Pletnev in particular stands out as doing it correctly to me, the end of the 1st Scherzo is terrifying, but he achieves the effect by amplifying the bass. I'm not exactly sure what he does, but the Carnegie hall performance is incredible and it's complemented by that approach. He does something similar in the middle climax of the 2nd Scherzo.

Samson Francois takes more liberties, but i don't really think they always work. Particularly the 3rd Scherzo. But he belongs to a different tradition altogether.

And then there's Horowitz. I don't think the octaves are necessary at the end of the 1st.

Opinions?
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Adding" to repertoire like the Scherzi
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:39:20 PM
Funny enough my teacher and I were talking about Horowitz and that first scherzo. The overlapping octaves would be a lot easier to play than if you kept it as written. To play that chromatic scale at tempo and even and hands 100% together is very difficult to acheive without it sounding, well for lack of a better term boring. So the overlapping octaves which he is known to be good at would be somewhat of an easier approach to such a passage

I personally am all for adding to music. The most I have done in a live performance is take a few notes down an octave or add an octave. Like rach op.23 no.5 g minor, those g minor scales with octave in the rh and single note LH i just do both as octaves.

Iv also used improvisation to save my ass a few times during performances. one particularly bad one was with Beethoven tempest. I was playing it on zero sleep and was feeling out of it and had a blinding headache. Not trying to make excuses just explaining why i may have had this giant memory slip. It was the easiest part too. After the A minor section when yoou have the half note octaves. I have no idea but i completely forget the chord progression. I knew how it was supposed to sound so i just played around with rolled chords and themes from the piece and other Beethoven works until i remembered where i was. I had a different teacher at the time... It ended up working out really well thankfully.

I am rambling
sorry

basically in my opinion i think music is a freeflowing thing to some degree and additions are always welcome to me.
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:47 PM
I, too, like to add to the music. ;D

Mvh,
Michael

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 11:39:42 PM

Mvh,
Michael

At some point, shouldn't adding to the music call for a rename of the music to 'improvisations on xxx originally by xxxx'?  This Bach performance seems to meet the improvisation level. 

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 11:41:04 PM

Mvh,
Michael
There's a difference between adding to it and brutally murdering it  ::)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:54:31 PM
If it works, go for it. If it doesn't, don't.

I think it should come from an understanding of the piece as written. Some pieces seem more amenable than others. And in some cases it seems almost mandatory - such as where descending octaves peter out into single notes just because pianos at the time didn't go that low or high.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 08:48:06 AM
At some point, shouldn't adding to the music call for a rename of the music to 'improvisations on xxx originally by xxxx'?  This Bach performance seems to meet the improvisation level. 

Hi Dogperson,

In my opinion it is below the level of being an improvisation.  An improvisation would be a new "composition", with a different structure, harmonies, et c., yet based on ideas from the Bach Invention.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:46 AM
There's a difference between adding to it and brutally murdering it  ::)

Hi Chopinlover01,

Right now classical music is being "murdered" by hordes of careful and well-meaning musicians who follow the score.  It can't go too much lower than 3% of the commercial market without slipping over the side of the cliff.  If it weren't for a lot of entrenched institutional with financial support, the professional classical music world would be gone already.  That support system is nearing the edge, too, and it is time for a creative rebirth of classical music.

Mvh,
Michael

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 09:58:46 AM
I usually add a few ornaments (depends on the piece) for fun, especially on the op. 55 nocturne! I mean, if it was okay for Jorge Bolet, then it's okay for me. :D But other than adding in a few ornament or two notes of music I'm pretty strict/conservative on myself when it comes to music. I didn't even know i was until quite a few people pointed it out to me.

Offline dogperson

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:14:59 PM
Hi Chopinlover01,

Right now classical music is being "murdered" by hordes of careful and well-meaning musicians who follow the score.  It can't go too much lower than 3% of the commercial market without slipping over the side of the cliff.  If it weren't for a lot of entrenched institutional with financial support, the professional classical music world would be gone already.  That support system is nearing the edge, too, and it is time for a creative rebirth of classical music.

Mvh,
Michael

I'm not sure how you make these assertions about the death of classical music and the need for a "creative rebirth".  That being said, be creative.  At some point when you push the limits beyond a reasonable boundary, label the piece as an improvisation based on....

What you did in the Bach recording no longer resembles Bach and should not be labeled as Bach. The listener will then be prepared for your creative interpretation, and will judge the merits on that basis.

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:59:03 PM
Hi Dogperson,

I don't know why anyone would judge a recording or a performance based on the title.  That would be a bit like judging a book by its cover (or title).

Mvh,
Michael

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:25 PM
p.s. - As an example, here is a recording of Bach's Air on the G String and definitely it is not the music as notated.  I've read through the comments and I don't see anyone getting enraged about the YouTube title which doesn't even acknowledge a source other than the pianist for the music content.  Titles aren't even copyrightable or considered to be part of a work of the performing arts . . . so I don't know why people would get hung up on needing to have (or to not have) a particular title to make a performance or a recording sound good.

Offline diomedes

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
Funny enough my teacher and I were talking about Horowitz and that first scherzo. The overlapping octaves would be a lot easier to play than if you kept it as written. To play that chromatic scale at tempo and even and hands 100% together is very difficult to acheive without it sounding, well for lack of a better term boring. So the overlapping octaves which he is known to be good at would be somewhat of an easier approach to such a passage

Odd. That's the second instance of the chromatic scale being sited as a serious obstacle, given the indicated accents. I was reading Conversations with Arrau and Arrau himself says it's easier to play it as Horowitz does. The scale isn't so bad, as long as you don't have incorrect fingerings. Now, the first page of this, it's bloody murder to control and play accurately very fast. The rest of the scherzo technically is very manageable.

I personally am all for adding to music. The most I have done in a live performance is take a few notes down an octave or add an octave. Like rach op.23 no.5 g minor, those g minor scales with octave in the rh and single note LH i just do both as octaves.

I guess. It never really came up to me as an option. I don't think i've heard it played that way before.
Beethoven-Alkan, concerto 3
Faure barcarolle 10
Mozart-Stradal, symphony 40
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert