Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Humidity / Climate Control system  (Read 3608 times)

Offline valen1

• PS Silver Member
Humidity / Climate Control system
on: December 17, 2004, 12:14:37 AM
Does anyone have advice on having a climate control system installed. I am putting
money aside, and I am still deciding on other repairs, or control system. Other repairs include felt dampers, hammers and restringing. The piano is a Chickering
Grand. Cira 1909 (6' 5"). Piano is in fair condition.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Humidity / Climate Control system
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 10:50:38 PM
Dampp Chasser.  This system will set you back $500 for the grand piano.

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 08:50:26 AM
Have you had some expert opinion on how effective this system is?  I believe that the system is attached to the piano. That will not change the relative humidity in the room and there are parts of the piano that the apparatus will not be able to protect from humidity fluctuations.
I also would be cautious about installing such a device in a venerable piano that most likely has not had a humidity control system before.  According to most literature on this subject it is more the extreme changes in humidity levels that do damage to a piano.  Excessive drying out of a piano can be just as devastating as too much humidity.
The Schimmel piano website offers some common sense suggestions in caring for a piano.  Pianos prefer the same conditions as we do. Not too warm, not too cold, not too dry and not too damp.  Keeping conditions relatively stable in a room helps and you should not leave windows open near the piano or have the piano in a draught or near a heating duct.

Kind regards,
Robert.

Offline athykay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 12:10:05 AM
I have heard all the arguments pro and con Dampp Chaser and finallyconcluded that   overall environment control was the way to go.  I do think there are a lot of over-eager Dampp Chaser sales people out there too. 

Living in a harsh winter climate, the biggest danger is the extreme low humidity in winter due to indoor heating.  For years I have used portable humidifiers to help prevent the dry skin phenom and I have always found them to be a huge nuisance in terms of having to constantly refill them and the expense of changing filters.

I finally learned of the Skuttle steam system. I think they have a website - skuttle.com,  no doubt.  Most of them are made to work with duct heating systems.  I have forced hot water, so that wasn't an option.  But, they have a portable unit. It's big and ugly, but I was able to place it relatively out of sight in a little closet.  It's connected to a humidstat and has plumbing for a constant source of water.  I love it.  I never have to worry about it as it's all very automated.

And, I  finally broke down and bought the piano its own air conditioner for those extremely hot, humid stretches in the summer.  Now the whole family clamors to be in the living room with the piano on those rare days.

The piano has stayed nicely in tune since both installations, a fairly good sign that things are working as they should.
Pianos?  I'm forum

If you crave yet more titillating conversation with piano lovers, visit:  https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve[/url]

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 01:09:31 AM
A piano that stays in tune is a happy piano.  Having the ambient temperature and humidity under control where the piano is makes better sense.  There is the added advantage of everyone being able to enjoy a pleasantly air-conditioned room irrespective of the weather conditions outside.

Thank you,
Robert.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert